Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just upgraded to the camaro 3.45 rear diff and it came with upgraded energy suspension poly bushings. I put in Amsoil 75-90 with the LSD additive. I am now getting a whine that starts about 45-50 and up but it is relative to throttle. More throttle I get more whine. I have no vibration. If its the bushings wouldn't I hear it at all speeds? I have read that going back to stock bushings solve this but I can't find anywhere to purchase just the stock bushings. Can you guys help or point me in the right direction? Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add. I put in only one quart of gear oil and that seems too little. So I was thinking maybe that might be it. And I didn't do any figure eights to make sure the oil got into the LSD clutches. It is my daily driver so I figured it will get there soon enough

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
You add oil until it won't take anymore. 1qt might not be enough. You fill till the oil level reaches the hole in the side and starts to come out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Gear noise under load signifies worn pinion and ring gear, poor alignment and or adjustment between the ring or pinion or lack of lubrication...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on thanks guys. Im going to be taking it apart next week to look at the internals. I think it has to be the amount of fluid everything else looks ok from the install

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
mine took about a a bottle and a half of fluid.

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
G8 diff takes 1.1 quarts of fluid, or about 1 liter. Not sure about the Camaro diff.

I get occasional gear whine on the highway with my G8 diff and BMR poly bushings, despite making sure it's fully topped up. The diff also only has 54,000 miles on it, nowhere near old enough to be worn out, and I'm making only slightly above-stock power at 445 HP. So I'd say audible whine is not a certain sign of wear or lack of proper lubrication. It's something you more or less learn to live with if you put stiffer bushings in the diff.

Try getting in touch with [email protected] He might be able to get you some replacement OEM rubber bushings.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Agree with Eidolon; I have a combo of poly and Delrin bushings in my stock diff and I can hear gear whine at highway speeds, especially when slightly under decel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts