Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Last Of A Dying Breed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys.... I'm totally confused here on which struts/shocks to go with on the car. I've been searching & searching & I still haven't gotten any clear answers, as to the reason why I'm posting.

I got the H&R Springs in the other day from UPS, but of course I will not install them on stock components at 60K miles. So, my question is along with the H&Rs, what shocks & struts do I go with?

Lovells is really #1 on MY list list right to pair up with the H&Rs. I like how they're adjustable in the back and they give you the extra 10MM of lowering the car. I want it low as possible, yet still function-able. Now, on Kollars site, they say "They will provide a 10mm drop when used with OEM or OEM equivalent style springs", so with these lowered H&R Springs, they won't for some weird reason raise the car correct? If anything, it should lower it more! The 4x4 wheel gap space is killing me. But then, I've seen good reviews on the Koni's as well. Those as well are adjustable too correct? & then the guys with Pedders seem to really like them as well. So, I know it'll boil down to my personal preference or whatever and what I want to spend....

NOW, the thing that has really erked me was the fact that when searching, guys said after they upgraded to the Kollar Poly Mount Bushings along with their Lovell Struts and whatever drop spring they're running, the front actually raised up a bit? :( That's what I don't want. So, my big question is which bushings will keep the car LOW and not raise it at all? The ones without bearings or the ones WITH them? I don't wanna install everything on the car, then take it off the lift only to realize the front is lower.

All responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys...

·
Suspension Guru
1,226 Posts
I'm not sure your info on the Lovells products are correct,

Pedders has been in business for over 60 years, and they were a shock company before they were anything else. Pedders dampers are the high end of the damper market for the G8. There are less expensive options out there, but those will not five you the same ride that the Pedders will.

the design of the front suspension and mount means that if you have a mount that has compressed it will lower the ride height of the car by that amount. typically it is only 5-10mm max, it can't really go more than that by design.

you lost me a bit on whether you want the car lower or not, maybe you just typed wrong in the last sentence.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure your info on the Lovells products are correct,

Pedders has been in business for over 60 years, and they were a shock company before they were anything else. Pedders dampers are the high end of the damper market for the G8. There are less expensive options out there, but those will not five you the same ride that the Pedders will.

the design of the front suspension and mount means that if you have a mount that has compressed it will lower the ride height of the car by that amount. typically it is only 5-10mm max, it can't really go more than that by design.

you lost me a bit on whether you want the car lower or not, maybe you just typed wrong in the last sentence.
Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. I didn't say they ARE #1, I'm saying they're #1 on my list as far as my options for shocks & struts go.

Yea, I'm wanting to lower the car. I already have the H&Rs in the garage, but I won't install them until I come up with the right combo.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm well straight from Lovell's site this is what I read, and I quote:

"LOVELLS shocks are specifically designed for the G8 .The rear shocks are height adjustable via collars allowing you to fine tune your ride height They will provide a 10mm drop when used with OEM or OEM equivalent style springs."

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have Lovells and am happy so far...have about 14,000 miles on them since this past late November...did fine for handling in the hill country this past weekend...I also DD the car on a 65 mile commute through the back roads here on the coast...also have the poly mounts from Lovells...and yes the rear shocks are adjustable with spacers (collars) that adjust the spring perch height by putting the collars under them or removing them all together...the only drawback is you will have to remove the shock each time to do it till you are satisfied with the ride height...

The rest of my suspension mods are in sig...

·
every village has one
2,354 Posts
Hmmm well straight from Lovell's site this is what I read, and I quote:

"LOVELLS shocks are specifically designed for the G8 .The rear shocks are height adjustable via collars allowing you to fine tune your ride height They will provide a 10mm drop when used with OEM or OEM equivalent style springs."
You need to call Andy Kollar at the number listed on the site. He will answer all your questions. The website is a bit confusing.
The install height is "adjustable" with the spacers provided during the initial installation.
Correct me, but I believe any poly mounts will raise the suspension slightly.
I have the Lovells 60 mm drop. Very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Stock and uncompressed to poly and height should be the same for the mounts...

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait, huh?? ^^ Totally lost me there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wait, huh?? ^^ Totally lost me there.
If you have a stock mount that is uncompressed and you replace it with a poly mount the height should be the same...sorry for the shorthand...LOL !!!

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, I'm just gonna get the Rubber Strut Mount Bushings along with the Lovells Struts/Shocks.
Due to the fact that the POLY STRUT Mounts seem to have raised the front end of different owners cars and I don't want that. Talked to Andy @ Kollar Racing, and he told me that the rubber strut mounts are softer and much quieter so its a done deal. Ordering next week. I'll keep you guys posted...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Guys, I'm just gonna get the Rubber Strut Mount Bushings along with the Lovells Struts/Shocks.
Due to the fact that the POLY STRUT Mounts seem to have raised the front end of different owners cars and I don't want that. Talked to Andy @ Kollar Racing, and he told me that the rubber strut mounts are softer and much quieter so its a done deal. Ordering next week. I'll keep you guys posted...
Cool !!! Keep us posted...

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
are you guys just trying to go MOAR LOW or are you actually trying to make the car handle better...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Me personally...handle better...lowered only modestly to lower center of gravity...look at my sig for other "enhancements"...

·
Registered
479 Posts
dcloud - any updates? How about install pics?

I have Pedders GSR shocks/struts paired with H&R springs and I love the handling of the car as well as the driving characteristics of the car. My only regret is that I wish the front was about half an inch lower. I'm really thinking about swapping out the Pedders front struts for the Lovells front struts to take advantage of the 10mm lower spring perch.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey kn1ckster: I've already got everything ordered. Probably gonna install everything in a couple of weeks. How long ago did you install them? I've heard and seen from a couple of my buddies with 06 GTO's that you have to give them a little time to settle in. The GTOs drop specs with the H&Rs is the exact same for the G8. Surely enough, all of my buds cars with H&Rs have dropped a total 2" all around tucking the hell outta the 19s.

I know 10mm I isn't a whole lot, but it's a little extra drop. Another reason I believe you aren't getting the amount of drop that you would like is that I see in your sig, you have poly mount bushings. It's my understanding that the poly mount bushings will actually raise the car a little bit in the front which is why I ordered the rubber mount bushings which have been said to actually lower it a tad more. Let me know what you think. I'll be making another thread sometime in May when I get everything installed....

Any pics of your car btw?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey kn1ckster: I've already got everything ordered. Probably gonna install everything in a couple of weeks. How long ago did you install them? I've heard and seen from a couple of my buddies with 06 GTO's that you have to give them a little time to settle in. The GTOs drop specs with the H&Rs is the exact same for the G8. Surely enough, all of my buds cars with H&Rs have dropped a total 2" all around tucking the hell outta the 19s.

I know 10mm I isn't a whole lot, but it's a little extra drop. Another reason I believe you aren't getting the amount of drop that you would like is that I see in your sig, you have poly mount bushings. It's my understanding that the poly mount bushings will actually raise the car a little bit in the front which is why I ordered the rubber mount bushings which have been said to actually lower it a tad more. Let me know what you think. I'll be making another thread sometime in May when I get everything installed....

Any pics of your car btw?
I did my install about a year and a half ago so the car has definitely had plenty of time to settle down!! I'm very pleased with how the rear sits, but like I said I want the front a tad lower. I do have the poly bushings and I do think that is contributing to the front not being as low as I want it. The rubber mount bushings might be a cheaper option to get the front lower so maybe I will try that route first. The gap front and rear looks about the same in the pics, but I can definitely see a slightly larger gap in the front. Here are a couple pics...

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow, now that's a sweet G8. 5***** man. Looks like to me, you're tucking very nicely in the front & back, but I do understand that "WANT" to go a tad bid lower in the front. I can assure you that if you were to get Rubber Bushings OR the Lovells front shocks with an additional 10mm of drop or hell, even both combined, you will end up with the height you want to achieve in the front.*I love that car!

After driving my buddies Lowered Whippled Camaro SS a couple of weeks ago, that let me know right there that I would love the lowered ride. It was tight, nimble, sporty and hugged the road as a sports car should. After having yours on a yr and a half, how do you like them? Are they harsh or do they give that sport ride? Gosh I can't wait to get em on already. Seeing how your 19s tuck in the back, I'm thinking mine will only go a hair lower with the 10mm lowering shocks in the back. Give & take, how much do you think 10mm is just taking a wild guess?

Also, LAST question, where did you get your GXP front bumper from? I want one so bad for my car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks a lot man! I appreciate the kind words! Yes I still "WANT" to go a tad lower and I think 10mm more will be just right. If I do go with the Lovells front strut route, it will be an instantanious drop since the springs have settled all the way. I LOVE the suspension with the H&R springs and Pedders shocks/struts after a year and a half. The car handles like a dream...very sporty and nimble, but not harsh at all. Honestly I think the car feels 1000x better and less harsh than the factory units. I think the extra 10mm the Lovells will drop will be perfect and completely fill in the wheel gap. I am definitely interested in seeing your setup and most importantly, when the car has settled. Oh and the GXP bumper, well I was lucky enough that when I bought the car, the first owner had it installed!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts