Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During tire rotation mechanic found some oil around the oil pan and level was low. My garage floor seems pretty clean so don't think it's leaking a lot there. I did notice my catch can is filling up quick.

What could it be?

·
198 Posts
Make sure your PCV valve is working correctly. If it, is look for a source of excessive blow-by. This could be caused by a number of things like a scratched cylinder liner or broken or cracked ring(s). If the PCV valve checks out OK the next thing would be to run a compression and leakdown check on each cylinder.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure your PCV valve is working correctly. If it, is look for a source of excessive blow-by. This could be caused by a number of things like a scratched cylinder liner or broken or cracked ring(s). If the PCV valve checks out OK the next thing would be to run a compression and leakdown check on each cylinder.
I thought the G8's didnt have PCV valves.

·
198 Posts
There is one listed for the V6 too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
L76 does not have a pvc valve. It uses a flow restricting oriface. Are you using aftermarket valve covers? If so, add a flow restrictor on the pcv line before the catchcan.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
How do you have the can hooked up? A compression test as mentioned would be a good idea to check for blow by also.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check the driver side rocker cover. Make sure its part number 12570427.
If the port on the d/s valve cover is capped and the oil cc is routed between valley port and tb(fresh air line from post maf on intake to PD valve cover)? Would it make a difference if it's the old or updated valve cover?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
If the port on the d/s valve cover is capped and the oil cc is routed between valley port and tb(fresh air line from post maf on intake to PD valve cover)? Would it make a difference if it's the old or updated valve cover?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It wouldn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts