Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, got a question. I'm looking into lowering my GXP on some H&R springs (springs only). I was quoted 6 hours by a shop to do the install. That's sounds ridiculous to me, how long should it take and how much should I expect to pay to have them installed. I mean for $600 I'll just do it myself....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thats insane... I think 2 hours is what they charged me for and that was installing ceramic coated brake pads too. Try another shop!

·
Registered
830 Posts
The shop told me 6 hours. So I installed the springs myself, which took me about 4 or 5 hours to do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
twenty, would you say it was worth it to save the $$ and do the install yourself, or was it pretty difficult and would have been worth it to find a shop...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Good question!!! The shop told me 350.00 and considering how hot (102 deg) it was the day I was installing them, I would say the shop.

It’s not hard to install the spring and the job will be faster since I know exactly what to do. Once I get my Monroe GT dampers (you will need them) I’ll have to do it all over again, but next time I’ll do it on a cooler day!

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are probably quoting off a program for mechanics that quotes a slightly higher time frame to account for such things as older rusted springs, bolts, etc. They probably won't encounter that with an 08 or 09 G8, so you are right probably would take 3-4 hours.

But I did springs on a couple of older vehicles, and it took me a couple days on each of them because of all the headaches involved in removing the old hardware with out starting them on fire with a torch wrench.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Read the supension tutorials from g8modz.com and you'll see how easy it is.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
takes about 4-6 hours on the parking lot and 2-3 hours on the lift.
GM warranty time for front and rear combined is 3 hours plus alignment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.