Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. Have we heard anything recently on the LS3? I was under the impression that it would make it into the next gen Vette (C7). Any chance in the new Camaro? Anybody with the scoop or any info.

A 2009 G8 GXP with a 425 to 450 horse LS3 would be mighty tempting. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Talk about the C7 already? The C6 has only been around for about 3 years. Give it a chance.

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk about the C7 already? The C6 has only been around for about 3 years.
C7 is closer than you may think. I'll try to find a link I read recently.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd like to see direct-injection myself. Just looking at examples like the VW Passat 3.6L shows the potential win-win of this system. Much more power along with very good fuel economy. Get rid of DOD or AFM or whatever alphabet soup they are calling that electronic nanny and give me a high-pressure shot of fuel right into the chamber.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't know the specifics of the new LS3 engine, but let's think about this for a minute....

GM will keep the Corvette HP competitive, no question, so that will be the first application. Camaro would be the next on the priority list to compete with Mustang/Challenger, so I'm sure it will find a home there. Finally, the sedans will get it, both Pontiac and Chevy RWD, to keep them in the hunt with Dodge/Chrysler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd read an article a while back that the next gen engine would basically incorporate advancements that they weren't able to work into the LS7/LS2's, either they werent feasible at the time, cost or engineering wise, or they didn't have time on the development schedule.

I know the new Viper has some whiz-bang new OHV features, like hollow and nested camshafts or something like that, wouldn't surprise me if GM were to incorporate something close to this.

·
Cynical A$$hole
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
LS3? First I've heard of it...I know LS1, LS2, LS6, and LS7 but LS3?

Can I get a link, gentlemen? LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the LS3 will probably be a fairly straight forward engine.

-6.2L aluminum block
-L92 casting heads, perhaps with hollow or sodium filled valves to lighten up the valvetrain.
-Mild cam (probably similar to the LS2, but with a greater split between the intake and exhaust duration numbers)
-L76 Intake or variant thereof.

I base my assumptions on the following:

The LS2 made 400 hp on 6.0L, so all things equal, the same components with 6.2L should make a bit more power. The thing is, the L92 heads are better than the LS2 castings, so they already have everything they need to make 425hp in their existing parts bin.

I expect they are working on some more exotic components, maybe multi-valve heads and/or direct injection, but those things will probably show up first in the vette, not a PMD product.

Greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
LS3 also incorporates displacement on demand, which was not feasible for the LS2. This will save some precious mileage figures for the EPA route. With gas prcies climbing again, every 14% saved becomes huge. I would expect to see some sick overdrive gearing as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
correct me if im wrong, the ls3 is a 6.2l with dod and reworked l92 heads. im guessing baseline hp for the c7 to be around 450, and the z06 could reach 600. btw, early estimates of dodges next gen viper wil produce 600hp/ gm will definately keep up with the trend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts