Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I have a 2009 GT and wondered if we have an LS3 Throttle Body or is it some other variant. Anyone know? Just wondering what ported TB options are out there.

Thanks!

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good day,

I have a 2009 GT and wondered if we have an LS3 Throttle Body or is it some other variant. Anyone know? Just wondering what ported TB options are out there.

Thanks!
Anyone?? Please? :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
we have a 90mm ls2 throttle body silver throttle plate.
not the gold throttle plate ls3 one.

but either one works. the ls3 one flows more and has a better placement of the throttle plate. and better overall machining of the housing.
i had both on my car before.

only thing is the ls3 actuator is larger so its a tighter fit but it works. also the one we have opens up. vs the ls3 one that opens down.

what you can do is buy a new one for pretty cheap off ebay. send it to somone to get it ported and and just swap the one you have so you have no down time and you can just sell the extra one.
or keep as a spare incase you go back to stock or something.

thats what i did i didnt want to deal with leaving a deposit down and sending the old tb back to get my money back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Did you port the LS3 TB or the LS2?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
i did the stock one and sold the ls3 one to a member here.
if i had to do it again i would keep the ls3 one and have it ported and sell the origional one.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've found a tuner, (Mike) Norris Motorsports who sells ported LS3's for $150 plus core exchange. Looks like he has a good relationship with the porter and the port job is actually CNC'd. He is not a vendor on here but has a site to go thru if interested. He is a pretty well respected and knowledgable tuner, he used to tune my Formula when living in Florida.

"This CNC ported and hand finished TB has shown increases of 4-5 RWHP and 4-5 RWT on LS2 powered vehicles and 7-12 RWHP on the LS3 and LS7 vehicles as well as a much crisper throttle response. And all of this with no tuning required on a stock vehicle. For vehicles that have been previously tuned or are moderately modified, tuning may be required."

·
Registered
392 Posts
I surprised this part hasn't shown up on the G8 boards yet. Hundreds have been installed on Camaro's and the feedback has been mostly positive. The one thing holding me back is the fear of getting a well worn core and then having issues as a result.

hayabusa160, so no other issues other than a tight fitment? Seems like getting a newer LS3 TB is the way to go if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
nope. i had it on my car for like a month.

i had my tb cnc ported. by the mentioned place above you just have to push the evap tube up when you bolt it on thats all.

once you hold the 2 together you will see why the ls3 unit is better. even straight out of the box. untouched its going to outflow the one we have on our car.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have been talking with Mike about his TB's, here is what he recommends:

"You pretty much need to stick with the LS2 as the base programming in the VCM is set for it. The LS2 and LS3 are both 90mm units, just a different body configuration due to a new supplier to GM in 2009.

The LS3 style does flow more then the LS2 when they are STOCK, but the CNC work pretty much equalizes them."

So, looks like stock for stock, the LS3 will flow more than the LS2, but once is all said and done with the port work, sounds like they will flow right on par with each other. Also, sounds like to tuning will be needed with the LS2 version over the LS3.

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been talking with Mike about his TB's, here is what he recommends:

"You pretty much need to stick with the LS2 as the base programming in the VCM is set for it. The LS2 and LS3 are both 90mm units, just a different body configuration due to a new supplier to GM in 2009.

The LS3 style does flow more then the LS2 when they are STOCK, but the CNC work pretty much equalizes them."

So, looks like stock for stock, the LS3 will flow more than the LS2, but once is all said and done with the port work, sounds like they will flow right on par with each other. Also, sounds like to tuning will be needed with the LS2 version over the LS3.

Can you please clarify.....tuning will need to be done with a ported LS2 versus and standard LS3?

Thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think he is saying tuning will be required going from our stock TB to a ported LS3. From stock to ported LS2 will be ok, but going to an LS3 will require additonal tuning. I belive it has to do with the VCM tables.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What you do to port your own dremel? Or u have a shop?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
I wish someone (cough, IDRIVEAG8, cough) would make a how to thread on porting and polishing a TB, or even heads.

·
Registered
309 Posts
^^^^What he said!!

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
Anyone have a part # for an LS3 version? I want to order one and attempt to port and polish it myself.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So the consensus is that a ported stock MAF equals LS3 MAF?
I just want to squeeze out as many "easy" ponies as I can.
Tuning needed with LS3 MAF i am seeing mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts