Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this was a hot subject 5+ years ago, but I never bought into it. I finally did and installed this yesterday. I figured I would post this for any forum newcomers over the past year or so.

I purchased the LS7 MAF from Amazon and the high-flow upgrade kit directly from Roto-Fab (I already had their regular intake system). Then had Pat G. update my tune. It turned out actually better than I expected. The throttle response is a very big improvement. I also did the lower grille mod at the same time, too. So that adds more air, I assume.

The install was fairly easy. Everything is a direct fit, but it fits TIGHT. Which is good, but was a pain at times. The LS7 MAF screws into the housing with two screws. I ended up just switching the black and pink wires on my stock harness instead of getting an adapter harness...this then plugs into the MAF. This also was a pain, not the wire switch, but trying to position the stock harness because there wasn't much play with what I had. I can see an adapter giving you more room to play with when connecting everything. But it looks real clean without a harness. I re-used my clamps and all was done.

The pic is the finished product and I think it was a pretty good mod for the price. I am planning on getting a RCR ported tb and modified intake soon to pair up with this.

Like I said, this has been shown and talked about before, but i haven't heard about it in a while so i figured i would post this.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks real good in there, a monster in size but it looks nice. What mod did you do to the lower grill? Curious because I'm new to the board and new to owning the G8 myself, and I've not heard of any mod for the lower grill for airflow? Any new airflow for this car would be an improvement I'm sure. Also, have you noticed any change in the gas mileage after the install? I have been curious about that and everything that I have read hasn't really mentioned much about that. In other cars I've done a CAI the gas mileage has increased along with horsepower so any info on that would be great.

Enjoy the mod!

·
Registered
460 Posts
The lower grill mod is when you take off the lower drivers side grill and shave the backing off the side nearest to the fog light. It lets more air through that port and air goes directly to the cabin where the air filter sits.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Bowlgod.

The lower grille mod is exactly what Dulvalius said. It only works for the Roto-Fab style intakes. I believe you can do it to the stock intake set-up, but you also have to do the lower panel mod to go with it....or it will be useless. Once cut, it will act like a ram-air style.

I really dont have enough miles on this new setup to really tell yet if I have better mileage or not. I will have to monitor it over the next week or so.

·
Low society member
91 Posts
StBIGT did you have hptuners to tune for your new ls7 maf and or have someone else plug in the right numbers ? I have the same settup but did not install because i have neither tuner or tune shop to change for ls7

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gettag8...i do not have hptuners. I have pat g tune my car, and he adjusted all the tables for the new maf.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is on my to do list as well, I already have the extra intake and LS2 TB on hand. Gwatney will be getting the intake for the rod mod and porting, Vmax for the throttle body, and I still need to order the parts from rotofab and the LS7 MAF. I have heard mixed reviews from others that this is not really a cost effective improvement for our cars. But I'm sort of at that point where I need to either increase displacement or go FI.
So I figure why not do it and see for myself. I will post up my findings when I get it done just so others will know. Give me a couple months to get my **** together.

·
Low society member
91 Posts
Just tried mine without a tune i have an appt soon so fitted and switched wires and plugged then started and stalled lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Gettag8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing