Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done a LS7 swap in a G8? I know there is a youtube of a 454, but I haven't heard of one with a LS7.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I can not imagine this car with an ls7, it would be awesome!
They are super expensive though, would go in fairly easily but im sure you would have to do some work to the 6l80e, and tune the tcm for the increased power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I don't think anyone has done a LS7, but it will fit. I know 50 cent had an lsx 427 in his.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can not imagine this car with an ls7, it would be awesome!
They are super expensive though, would go in fairly easily but im sure you would have to do some work to the 6l80e, and tune the tcm for the increased power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Exactly why I'm not doing it,too much money. It is a thought I wondered about, Holden did it with the W427 and I wondered if there was a stateside version.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have a LSX 434 in mine..

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
head to the other board and search "LSX 454 is going in this week" - 167 post thread

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
So want to say you have an LS7, or do you want to make more power? If it is the latter, you can build a 416-418 ci LS3 with worked LS3 heads and your choice of cam and make @ the same power (assuming same compression). Then when you want more and decide to go fi, the LS3 is the better platform.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
the zee twenty eight killa, eh?

I think for such a heavy car, people seem to have not chosen the LS7, but generally, those people have aftermarket power adders that help bump the HP up there. But I'm curious as to reasons if anyone had the choice for an LS7 but turned it down.

Even Ewing recently had a Livernois 404 block in the car that he recently sold.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hypothetically,....w/the same mods(bolt ons,FI) would the LS7 make more power?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hypothetically,....w/the same mods(bolt ons,FI) would the LS7 make more power?
Make more power with the mods on a LS7? Yep, but Price wise I don't think it's logical, a new LS7 is about $15k. With that said you do get CNC aluminum heads but you are still at 505hp crank. Put $15k into what you already have (L76 or LS3) and you could easily get 600 at the wheels. Though it would be a cool factor to have an LS7 in a G8

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Make more power with the mods on a LS7? Yep, but Price wise I don't think it's logical, a new LS7 is about $15k. With that said you do get CNC aluminum heads but you are still at 505hp crank. Put $15k into what you already have (L76 or LS3) and you could easily get 600 at the wheels. Though it would be a cool factor to have an LS7 in a G8
That's about what my setup cost. Also, I thought the LS7 needed forge pistons to make any really big numbers. If that's true, you still need to put more money into it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've heard stories about the pistons in the LS7. I know it can take boost but not as good as the smaller 6.0/6.2.

·
Registered
327 Posts
LS7's like to eat exhaust valves and blow up. go GOOGLE it. Guys with 15k (sometimes less) miles, stock LS7, driving down the street and dropping valves. Not a problem when under warranty, but once warranty is gone, it's a $15k uh-oh.

You want an LS7 now?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well to prove the point of ls7 exploding. I have personally replaced or rebuilt 4 z06 ls7 motors. They do like to "scatter". Lol. Seen several at road courses blow to pieces. Ls9 has not seen any of the problems the ls7 has. I would say build a forged 6.0 motor or just do a LSX build.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
LS3 block + 4" crank + forged rods & pistons + worked LS3 heads + your choice of cam depending on your end goal = win. 550+ rwhp NA, 1000 rwhp with correct FI.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts