Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on camaro5 site, just a heads up. Testing will take place tomorrow and through thursday.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Interesting, I will be following. Thanks Bo.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
hasnt it been proven to pick up 25-30hp and lose zero below 4500?

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
also, i cant find the thread on camaro5

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
This will give real base line results. Test veh is a 2013 ls3 Camaro. CAI and exhaust are the only mods. Base line is 393 & 384.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why in the hell would anyone even consider putting an LS9 cam in!?

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
100 bucks, works with stock valvetrain, makes 30hp, no lope, keep stock drivability... sounds like a pretty good combo...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like you loose area under the curve.... no thanks.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Idk about you but i dont drop below 4k on a shift...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good luck with that... If im going to buy a cam and spend the time installing it you better believe your going to know it and it will make a hell of alot more than 20hp peak hp.....

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Turbotank,
I completely understand your view. And this argument had been made before. May I ask, do you do all your own wrenching?
See my point of view for a second if you will. I for one love wrenching on cars. I am a complete gear head. I also am super cheap! If I can do all the wrenching, have a fun time doing it, and gain 20 hp for $100, doesn't that sound like a good deal? I don't mean to stir the pot. I see your point. I'm just showing you mine.
Hell, some guys spend a couple hundred doars on a intake and don't get 20hp out of it.....

·
Registered
923 Posts
I can understand this in a GXP....maybe.

But the work and money involved in doing a cam swap/DoD delete in a GT, I'd jump for more stick for another $250-300 give or take.

If this LS9 cam added 50hp I would maybe consider it.

I would think this would be a great cam if your considering a blower/turbo.

Just not enough BANG for the low buck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nice!!

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I can understand this in a GXP....maybe.

But the work and money involved in doing a cam swap/DoD delete in a GT, I'd jump for more stick for another $250-300 give or take.

If this LS9 cam added 50hp I would maybe consider it.

I would think this would be a great cam if your considering a blower/turbo.

Just not enough BANG for the low buck.
Good points.
Let's add it up. Just for kicks n giggles. I'll do a quick google on the parts.
Cam-129.95-lingenfelter
Ls3 springs-56.95-sdparts
Cam gear-22.95-lingenfelter
Updated lifter will arguably support .55x lift so they can be used.

I just wish someone would do it on a l76 and see. I understand the hesitance however.

Maybe I'll have to do it :)

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Just a few more quick things
I see that the test showed 20hp up top and -20tq down low. Would it be safe to say that the increased duration caused the hp increase and the lsa the loss in Toque?

One would have to assume that the l76 would pick up much more hp up top due to the added lift AND duration, but possibly loose tq for the lsa? I am no guru, I'm just rambling.

L76: 12625438
200/208. 472/479 116.25

ls3: 12603844
204/211. 551/525 117

Ls9 : 12605527
211/230. 558/552 122.5

I already have the springs and cam sprocket, I have to admit that it is very tempting.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Subd

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The test was from an LS3 to LS9 cam. It would be an more of an increase over our L76. I think I would do better with a custom comp cams
one. XE lobes. 210 int 218 exh .556" I .563E lsa 116. I have just not
decided on the ICL.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just think that this cam is more suited for forced induction.

That super wide LSA will keep the boost "in" and not leak it out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Turbotank,
I completely understand your view. And this argument had been made before. May I ask, do you do all your own wrenching?
See my point of view for a second if you will. I for one love wrenching on cars. I am a complete gear head. I also am super cheap! If I can do all the wrenching, have a fun time doing it, and gain 20 hp for $100, doesn't that sound like a good deal? I don't mean to stir the pot. I see your point. I'm just showing you mine.
Hell, some guys spend a couple hundred doars on a intake and don't get 20hp out of it.....
I do all my own work. It just seems like a waste of time to me. These cars DO NOT need to be loosing any power below 4K. They are heavy bitches and need all they can get. Mine makes 500ft/lbs and it still could use more... The LS9 is a cheap cam but what about the tune, fluids etc..? Your going to pay for a tune the same as if you did a custom cam. So why waste your time and a saturday to loose power down low and make a measly 20hp up top when there is a dozen Cam choices out there that will destroy the LS9 cam? Man up and spend another couple hundered and get a bigger bang for your buck and dont use a cam designed for a blower on an N/A setup..

Anyways end of my rant, If anyone does this I bet they get walked by the smallest aftermarket cam only setup out there....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts