Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Seems fair from knowing what I was quoted for just a cam package install from a local shop. Parts prices are a bit higher than what I remember, but prices are for everything currently, so not surprised by those prices. The LSA cost seems more than fair though from what I've seen posted here for DIY costs.
Do you already have exhaust and intake upgrades? Specifically headers and high flow cats? I don't see anything for that on the quote.

I'm curious what others thoughts are though as I'm only familiar with what I was quoted and what I paid for my parts a couple years back.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
761 Posts
Pricing seems fair for what I spent upgrading my engine last Fall. I would upgrade the Harmonic Balancer while you are at it as well as the AC bracket.

·
Registered
568 Posts
+1 to the AC bracket. I would throw the belt about once a week and that ended up shredding a few AC belts, the main belt once and broke the AC tensioner twice. Just tackle it now while its all apart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems fair from knowing what I was quoted for just a cam package install from a local shop. Parts prices are a bit higher than what I remember, but prices are for everything currently, so not surprised by those prices. The LSA cost seems more than fair though from what I've seen posted here for DIY costs.
Do you already have exhaust and intake upgrades? Specifically headers and high flow cats? I don't see anything for that on the quote.

I'm curious what others thoughts are though as I'm only familiar with what I was quoted and what I paid for my parts a couple years back.
Right now the car has Doug Thorley LTH, Camaro SS dif with a 3.45 gear.I'm trying to stay away from doing a fuel system and hoping I could just stay with the 1000cc injectors and at most run a ZL1 pump. Because of fuel, I am also considering sticking an LS9 cam and valve train in it. No CAI as of now. still on the fence with that as well

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
761 Posts
You are obviously kicking the tires with what to do.

IMO, decide what you want it to be when you are done. I was doing the same thing, throwing out questions and looking for input a few months back then, settled on a plan.

At the end of the day, I wanted to add about 100HP to my stock GT, better exhaust sound and prevent any future engine issues, if possible. I went with a BTR Stage 2 cam, DOD Delete, Kooks front to back, ATI harmonic balancer, AC bracket, Oil Dump Relief fix, etc..

I guess, what is the end goal? 135MPH quarter mile? Daily driver? etc.

Regards,,

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
761 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I don't see the actual supercharger in that list you attached.

And I agree, this is a do it all or don't do it at all kind of thing. The fuel system in this car is known to be good only stock, and a little beyond. Once guys start talking about boost usually the fuel system is not up to the task. You need it, and better to do it now while everything else is getting done.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Right now the car has Doug Thorley LTH, Camaro SS dif with a 3.45 gear.I'm trying to stay away from doing a fuel system and hoping I could just stay with the 1000cc injectors and at most run a ZL1 pump. Because of fuel, I am also considering sticking an LS9 cam and valve train in it. No CAI as of now. still on the fence with that as well

I ran the LS9 Cam and Valve Springs and an LSA with a 2.55" Pulley for a while. Made 590HP and 550(ish)TQ. Having said that, I'd buy a set of after market valve springs if you plan to turn it past 6000rpm, I had a couple instances of valve float with that setup

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
OP, if you go with aftermarket springs {btr}, cam with lift above. 600, and spin above 6000, gm lifters are marginal. Go with Johnson for reliability.

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, if you go with aftermarket springs {btr}, cam with lift above. 600, and spin above 6000, gm lifters are marginal. Go with Johnson for reliability.
I went with the following. a Custom Ground Camshaft I believe it was 227/234, PAC .660 Dual Valve Springs, 7.4" Hardened Chromoly Pushrods, ARP Harmonic Balancer Bolt, ARP Camshaft Bolts, CHE Trunion
Morel LS Drop In Lifters.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Valvetrain reliability is parts and setup. For example, pushrod length, done right, is not a simple as one size fits all. Variables such as:
  • Lifter preload
  • head gasket thickness
  • cam base
will determine pushhrod length, you can expect to order pushrods in 2 or 4 lengths to keep within the lifter preload specs. It takes time to make a reliable valve train at higher RPM, higher spring pressure and elevated lift / ramp profile.

If you want the build reliability, it's well worth a consultation with a builder with hands on experience, Pat G or Matt Gower (gpxtuning) come to mind. Share your goal with them, they will set real expectations based on experience vs the free advice from a salesperson who may have never opened an engine.

Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
761 Posts
Sorry, I don't. Maybe get on their site and shoot them a question??

Maybe someone else knows.

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts
The belt in the kit should be longer than stock given the bracket has an additional idler pulley. Either way, with an underdrive pulley you'll need a different (shorter) belt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts