Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/secret-plan-to-build-supercharged-ss-20130312-2fx4q.html

Hendrick admitted his plan was to make the car more performance orientated than it ended up, making it even more powerful and better equipped than the current HSV GTS.
His preference was to ditch the 325kW 6.2-litre ‘‘LS3’’ V8 engine in favour of a 415kW supercharged version known as the ‘‘LSA’’.
“Mark and [GM marketing chief] Alan [Batey] worked together [at Holden] and we had meetings and talked about putting our name on it,” he said. “I had meetings with Alan and I wanted to put the LSA motor that’s in the Cadillac CTS-V. I wanted a six-speed and paddle shifts, then we wanted to tune the front end. And all that was great until you figured out what it cost to do it, just for a limited production car, and you had to go through all the testing again.
“One of the things I really wanted was magnetic ride, but if we’d have done everything that I wanted to do it would have been a $100,000 car.”

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hm.. somehow I think they'll find a way to neuter that. Or they will just say no to it since it can't come close to the V and they wouldn't want it near the ZL1 either.

I bet if were lucky we will get a LT1 something reletively close to Chrysler. But idk anything cause I'm stupid :( lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Just the suspension alone would have been huge. Or the LT1. It just needed something defining itself from previous models besides interior goodies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what I've read the new SS appears equivalent to the G8 GXP. I don't think it is the ultimate SS, and after 5 years expected a little more.
At least they could have put the new 8 speed automatic in it.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
From what I've read the new SS appears equivalent to the G8 GXP. I don't think it is the ultimate SS, and after 5 years expected a little more.
At least they could have put the new 8 speed automatic in it.
Drivetrain is equivalent. Most of the rest of the car isn't.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
You can't pretend like this was a rush job. They've had time. Seems to me like this was poorly managed and probably pushed through corp headquarters until they finally said OK, let's make it.

Still, this did not need to compete with the CTS-V, and I think the LSA is bad ass but a mistake. It needs the LT1, and the magnetic suspension. Then sell if to just shy of 50K.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One comment worth making. The drivetrain may be the same but with the car weighing less, that is equivalent to giving it extra power.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
One comment worth making. The drivetrain may be the same but with the car weighing less, that is equivalent to giving it extra power.
That is a point I have had with more than a few people. That and they didn't go with the staggered rear wheels because they cost more. If non-staggered were good enough for the 415HP in the GXP, why the need to increase the amount of meat back there if it wasn't an attempt to get the HP to the road?:wink2:

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Why are they even talking to Hendrick? Dude needs to focus on his customer service in the dealerships he owns here in NC.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The SS is annoying on many levels for me. I wanted to get it to replace my GT so bad, and it just makes zero sense for me to do so at this point. If they end up offering a manual tranny I could be swayed, but the staggered rims is a real turn-off for me using it as a DD - I'd rather just have 275's all around or even the measly 245's we already have, at least you can rotate. You have any idea how often you'll be going through tires in a 415HP RWD 4,000 lb sedan as a DD w/ staggered setup?? Awful.

Also - complete BS that it would be a "$100,000" car setup how he would have liked, if that's the case the CTS-V should be a $130-$140,000 car, and it isn't, its a $60-$70,000 one

The LSA would have tacked on a total of $1-$2000 MAYBE to the bottomline....in reality the caddy folk were just worried it would detract sales from their halo car because, lets face it, the commodore version would have been better AND bigger

·
Registered
346 Posts
Drivetrain is equivalent. Most of the rest of the car isn't.
Actually, it seems like with the exception of the interior and the front and rear bumpers, it's 99% the same as a GXP.

Wider rear tires are nice, but I bet they haven't done anything to fix the wheel hop, even though they know how to do it (CTS-V, ZL1).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually, it seems like with the exception of the interior and the front and rear bumpers, it's 99% the same as a GXP.

The modifications to the chassis (Zeta 11) required one million kilometers of testing. They wouldn't be doing that if it was 99% the same as Zeta 1.
The SS will be a substantially superior car to the GXP.

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the title of this thread needs be changed. No where did is say that "GM" planned the LSA. Quote: "Hendrick admitted his plan was to make the car more performance orientated than it ended up". It sounds pretty arrogant for him to state "his plan" as if he had a say in how HOLDEN would make this car. I'm sure that some of the NASCAR teams had imput on the shape and function of the cosmetics, but to imply that he has the ability to tell GM/Holden what should be offered to the public is funny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts