Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Vararam cold air intake. The MAF connector cable is kinda tight and wanted to add a short extension. I looked on Ebay and found this
LS3 / LS7 MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor to L76 Wiring Harness Adapter Chevy LSX G8-GT

Seems to have the same connector but don't know if the wiring is right.

See attached.

Would this work?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
No, this will not work. It is made for the ls7/ls3 MAF. Our MAF is wired slightly differently and this adapter is made to connect into the ls7/ls3 MAF without having to manually swap wires.

Edit: i guess you can technically use it, but you will have to switch the wires back so that it will work for the stock configuration.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Edit: i guess you can technically use it, but you will have to switch the wires back so that it will work for the stock configuration.
You could make it work by doing that.

Another option is to get a Heat Soak Reduction Kit, which will give you a bit more length on the MAF harness and move your IAT sensor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I can get the connector and switch the wires to match. This connector is $14 on Ebay while the heat soak reduction kit is $99.

Hopefully the wires are easy to pull out.

·
Registered
24 Posts

You'll need a de-pinning tool. Then they are easy to switch. I've got a set made by Lisle, but its probably over kill for most people. Search around for a terminal de pinning tool. Even though it looks like it would work, a paperclip or tig wire does not have the stability to be used and you'll pull your hair out in frustration.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I used a scribe tool for mine without any issues.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Is purchasing a mass airflow sensor connector harness, cutting off the existing harness well below the connector (to be reused if necessary) and installing the new harness an option? If so, the harness can be found on the rock that sells auto parts for less than $16 each (wve/airtex/wells or AcDelco) brand shipped to the front door. According to the picture, all five wires are white and you'll just have to carefully match their existing locations. Just a thought.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I guess I can get the connector and switch the wires to match. This connector is $14 on Ebay while the heat soak reduction kit is $99.

Caspers Electronics... HSRK harness for $26, then just need the sensor which should be under $20. Up to you, but cheaper option if you choose to go that route.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Caspers Electronics... HSRK harness for $26, then just need the sensor which should be under $20. Up to you, but cheaper option if you choose to go that route.
That's the route I took. Found a grommet at Pep Boys that fit the sensor also.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My application for this connector is just to extend the wire that plugs into the stock MAF. I'm not looking to get the heat soak connector. Just need to find out which wires to switch out the position on in the connector.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My application for this connector is just to extend the wire that plugs into the stock MAF. I'm not looking to get the heat soak connector. Just need to find out which wires to switch out the position on in the connector.

Thanks for all the replies.
No problem. Just read as though the $99 was a stopping point, but it could be done under $50, so wanted to share.

There are plenty of write ups about switching the stock harness to run an LS7 MAF. Find one of those, and you should be able to reverse it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The only wires that need to be swapped are the ground and voltage (black and pink) wires. However, if you look at the pinouts, it would also seem like the IAT sensor signal & low reference would have to be swapped, too. They do not. If you buy the harness, you would have to check to see exactly what ones they swapped against the pinout...then swap them back so it will work with your stock one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not get the wire harness yet but hopefully they used the same color wires. I'll make sure that the wires that are plugging into the MAF are in the same order as the L76 harness I am plugging the new wire to.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK got the wire harness and the wires are not the same color as the stock harness: red, black, blue, white, yellow. So I basically need to re-wire the harness I just bought: make sure the same wire from the old harness that plugs into the new harness matches the plug on the stock MAF.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my Maf connector to work without a extension. just had to do some untangling had the vararam on since 2012 and no issues with wire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts