Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about mail in tunes? Im thinking of having my bolt on stock g8 gt tuned. By mail. If its a good idea.... the reason i ask about mail in tune compared to dyno tune. Funds for the g8 project are dwindling. I live in phila and tunes from shops in this area are quite expensive. Help me guys. I would like to learn how to tune. Just cant find no one to teach or show me.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Livernois does good work. If you can’t get to a reputable tuner like Rick Crawford, then that’s the way to go.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I got a quote of $950.00 with limitations.
Yikes, that's pretty high. I paid less than that for HPTuners, credits, and tune (from local tuner).

What "bolt ons" are you talking. Intake and exhaust? Or more like headers, UDP, etc?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Bolt ons. Are exhaust. Cai. For right now
Then find yourself a used Cortex for $200. Cheap, easy, and very good results. The transmission tune is worth it by itself.

Save the more expensive custom tune for when you go with headers or other large items.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Pat G or Rick Crawford. Both are great.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a cortex tune on the car already. I want more. Lol
More what? Power, empty pockets, bragging rights about 350 whp in a 4000 lb pig? There is no reason or benefit to go to a tuner with your current mods. You will be wasting your money. For $950 you can order some really nice headers for the car, or pick up a camaro differential.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm in the Philly area. Where have gotten your quotes from? Just curious.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a cortex tune on the car already. I want more. Lol
You're not going to get THAT much more out of it. Long tubes + dyno tune, now you're talking a good pickup in power. I bet you could get Pypes headers and a tune for close to that $950.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts