Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mangaflow catback drone?

I am considering upgrading from axelbacks and was curious if there has been issues with drone with either of the magnaflow series catbacks. Also what performance difference is there with this upgrade. Are Borla or Corsa worth the extra $? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm experiencing a lot more drone than anticipated with the 16795 catback set. It's really bad around 1500 RPM and an extremely weird burble noise at a specific RPM level as well that takes an increase in RPM or decrease to wipe out.

Overall, it's great sounding exhaust and sounds fairly nasty (in a good way) for just catback but there is some downside to unecessary drone.

Brent

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
there are few threads on this

even my street series has annoying drone (mostly 1800 to 2000 rpms), but still debating on the move to Corsa

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Agreed on the drone, i have it also with my magna flow mufflers and SLP headers....if you do 55 on the highway it's ok, anything over that the drone will drive you insane. However, the sound from the outside is awesome and it really sounds nice when you put your foot into it......

pro and cons to everything!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine definitely toned down after some miles. I have around 9000 miles on my magnaflow axlebacks, about a month ago I cut out the mid-muffler & resonators and put in a magnaflow x-pipe and still the drone is not that noticeable. You can hear the exhaust, but the drone/resonance I had when I first installed just the axlebacks is still gone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
question for anyone if you put on the stolen fox h pipe and run the stock remaining can you tell any difference in the cabin noise. have the pipe but it is the wife who drives it mostly to work. and I have Magnaflo on my GMC 2500 6.0 and the cabin noise is loud but not as loud as with Flomaster
09 White hot loaded except for sunroof. daily driver is my 66 GTO bicycle

·
Registered
371 Posts
drone

Don't want to not be able to carry on conversation with out having to raise voice so may have to sell the Stolen Fox H pipe just sitting in box in garage anyway.:driving:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I also have the cat back with the DT LT and it does not drone at all. It's just plain loud and sounds like a V-8. If you want a drone free system, leave the stock exhaust system alone.

·
L76 Performer
597 Posts
I also have the cat back with the DT LT and it does not drone at all. It's just plain loud and sounds like a V-8. If you want a drone free system, leave the stock exhaust system alone.
Not necessarily true, as the Magnaflow 16887 CatBack Exhaust system has a nice deep tone to it , verses the Drone effect you will have with the Magnaflow 16795 CatBack System.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I second that

Not necessarily true, as the Magnaflow 16887 CatBack Exhaust system has a nice deep tone to it , verses the Drone effect you will have with the Magnaflow 16795 CatBack System.

Went from Mangaflow axle backs with rediculous amounts of drone. It started to get a bit better with some miles. Then went to the street series cat backs and there's a small window of drone 1800 - 2000 but even that is alot less out of the box than the axle backs. Nice mellow tone from the street series.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts