Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been covered before but I didn't find anything in a quick search. The manuals have a wheel hop issue which i was able to almost get rid of by changing an axle. However when I replaced my tires with something different from stock, it came back. It's time again for a tire change for me. What do people recommend to get that won't make the wheel hop issue worse?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Tires aren't really going to solve your wheel hop issue. But for a good daily driver I'd go with Michelin PS4S.

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
668 Posts
Go with the best. Michelin.

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm aware that tires alone wont fix wheel hop, but my experience is the wrong ones can definately make it worse.

I take it PS4S is Pilot Sport 4S. I see they got really good ratings on tire rack. I will put them on the short list, thanks.

I guess my only question is are there any stick GXP people that have these and if they like them? I ask because my last set of tires were highly rated yet they made the wheel hop worse.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Careful on tire selection. Wheel hop is due to elasticity in the suspension bushings. If you select a sticky tire, hop may be worse as the bushing loads increase/release. May want to look a poly bushing and/or rear LCAs/Toe/trailing arms.

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Registered
556 Posts
Plenty of past forum discussion on the wheel hop issue and possible remedies.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you elaborate on that? CTS-V part? Got a part number? What led you to this axle choice?
Thanks
axle install

See this write up on the install I wrote way back when. They were GForce axles, and this was over 10 years ago. I have no idea if those guys are still in business. The theory was that if you had slightly different diameter axles it would help to break up any possible harmonics that could lead to the wheel hop. I believe the factory was doing something similar at the time with new CTS-Vs. With the factory tires (Bridgestone Potenzas) the wheel hop seemed to go away. Note I had also installed BMR trailing arms. Unfortunately when I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports (I forgot those were the replacements, LOL), the wheel hop was back.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Apart from the performance aspect I find now as Michelin tires age road noise becomes a problem.
In my case my Pilot Sport A/S3's, size 245 45 18, yes an older model now but road noise from these tires is definitely noticeable.
Put Pilot Sport A/S4's on my mothers car last year but that car goes nowhere so don't have any feed back on that model.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you have some aftermarket shocks? Too much rebound stiffness would cause wheel hop. (A little self-promotion, I wrote a book "How to set up your car" for amateur racing). I've never seen much wheel hop on my car, neither with original FE3 nor with PPV shocks.

As for tires, I really like BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. They're summer-oriented all-seasons but they do decently even in a few inches of snow, and on the very icy roads (here the snow tends to melt and ice up as soon as it falls). I've been alternating between them and General Tire G-MAX AS-05 (and previously AS-03). They both feel kind of the same until you push to the limit, but after I took the car on both tires to an autocross in wet weather, I liked the behavior of BFGs at the limit much better. They have the about same maximal grip but do it differently, General requires a lot more slip before it delivers the maximal grip, so it really gets screwed up by the ABS.

Here I've found my reviews on Tire Rack:

General:

I've long been on the fence, between this tire and BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S . They feel about the same, and I've been alternating between them depending on what is on sale. BFG felt just a tiny bit better on grip. Well, now I've had an opportinuty to do a wet autocross on both, same car, with the data acquisition, and BFG came clearly ahead. The comparison is not exactly one-to-one, as Generals had 2 years and about 25K miles, while BFG had only one pandemic year with about 5K miles. But I think it wouldn't change the result that much. General and BFG have done about equally on g-forces under acceleration and turning, and quite surprisingly well. The 0.45 g acceleration in the wet on an RWD car is awesome, and better than some tires would do in the dry. And over 0.8 g in turns is quite good too. The trouble with General is that it produces the same 0.45 g under braking, while with BFG I've seen 0.6 g. The car is braking with all 4 wheels, the number should be better than acceleration, but it isn't for the General. For all I can tell, the trouble comes from ABS and the fact that General develops the best grip with a lot of slippage. I can feel that there is a lot of slippage under max acceleration, but under braking the ABS gets in the way and doesn't let it develop the best grip. It also shows in turns, where General slides sideways a lot when doing its best lateral g. This slippage also makes the car more difficult to balance in turns on General than on BFG, General tends to have a lot more understeer. The car understeers on both if you go too fast on turn entry, not really surprising, but General also understeers when you start getting onto the gas past the apex, while BFG is very predictable and neutral. So I think BFG is a better choice even when General G-MAX AS-05 XL is on sale.

And my earlier review of BFGs:

This tire worked very well for me, can't complain. It lasted 2 years, this seems to be kind of typical. I've had to swap the fronts and rears this year, since the rears were getting pretty worn. Then again, my wife was driving this car for a year, and she tends to be pretty hard on the rear tires, so they might have lasted better otherwise. One thing that particularly impressed me is the snow traction during the last winter. We don't get that much snow around Seattle but there are lots of hills, and because the temperatures are around melting point, the snow tends to be very slippery. This is the car that I drive in the snow. The smoother road that I planned to take was closed due to an accident (a bus fell into the ditch on one of these lesser hills) so I went around it by the small streets using GPS. If I knew in advance what were the roads out there, I wouldn't go that way. When I saw the steep hill in front of me on an un-plowed street, it scared me, but there was no place to turn around, so I went ahead. And to my surprise the tires worked quite well, and I climbed the hill with no problems. On the half-worn one-year-old all-season tires. That's awesome!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rear cradle poly inserts and new trailing arms is only way to get rid of hop. Messing with tires, shafts…. Is all voodoo and a waste of money.
Not saying you are wrong, but has this been proven to be the fix? Wouldn't be the first time someone said they knew the fix.

Anyway I'm asking about tires because the ones I have are worn out. I just didn't want to buy something that might make the wheel hop worse. I figured the group would have figured out the M6 wheel hop issue by now but apparently not.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
Then go buy some tires and see for yourself.

Looks of advice here. You decide if you want to use it.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
A/S 3 was released in 2012, what year did you get those tires?

I would assume if they're near the end of their serviceable life they'd start to get noisy as the rubber hardens.

·
I have a hot wife!
107 Posts
axle install

The theory was that if you had slightly different diameter axles it would help to break up any possible harmonics that could lead to the wheel hop. I believe the factory was doing something similar at the time with new CTS-Vs.
Thanks for the link - nice job there!!
My Son is a GM Engineer. He was home with some of his buddies (also GM guys) once. One of them was on the Gen 1 CTS-V team and they had a BAD problem with WH. My 6M GXP was on my lift and he pointed to the axles and said exactly what you said. They solved it by making one fatter. Simple and done. I never did get a part # to see if I could just swap out an OEM one and solve my problem.
I'm kinda torn there because my car is virtually stock and NEVER beat on - because of the WH. If I get that solved then look the F out! I'll be doing donuts in every parking lot and depreciating the car fast!
My GXP is my all time favorite car. I am lucky to have one. Hopefully it is the next GNX in terms of collectable. It would be hard for me to sell it though.
If I wanted to Hot Rod a G8 I'd get a V6 and LSA swap it. I've run into some VERY BADA$$ LSA G8's. Great platform for that swap.
Thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts