Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So coming from a racing background I’m used to the sequential shift being 1 up and 4 or 5 down/back so I been missing some shifts bc I’m confusing the up/down shift so my question is Why do these cars have the manual shift with + forward and - back. All my sequential transmissions have been - forward and + back so it’s starting annoy me a bit.

Does anyone make a different shift shaft to change this or is this something I will have to go custom on?

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Somebody got in there and reversed the plug. You’ll have to search for it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So coming from a racing background I’m used to the sequential shift being 1 up and 4 or 5 down/back so I been missing some shifts bc I’m confusing the up/down shift so my question is Why do these cars have the manual shift with + forward and - back. All my sequential transmissions have been - forward and + back so it’s starting annoy me a bit.

Does anyone make a different shift shaft to change this or is this something I will have to go custom on?
Agreed, the G8 manual mode is backwards. BMW is the only manufacturer I know of who does it the "correct" way all the time.

Good news though, you can switch it. It's just an electronic thing. There are some threads on here about it. Some people have done it custom, but I think others were able to use the Australian TUTD module, which is flipped for RHD.

Edit: or just install some paddle shifters and forget the stick. :D

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
379 Posts
Agreed, the G8 manual mode is backwards. BMW is the only manufacturer I know of who does it the "correct" way all the time.

Good news though, you can switch it. It's just an electronic thing. There are some threads on here about it. Some people have done it custom, but I think others were able to use the Australian TUTD module, which is flipped for RHD.

Edit: or just install some paddle shifters and forget the stick. :D

IIRC Mazda does too, though I might be thinking about the paddles being the correct left paddle=downshift, right paddle=upshift orientation.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

The Commodore shifter has it the way you want. GM changed it for the G8.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Edit: or just install some paddle shifters and forget the stick. /forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Thanks That sounds great. I had done some searching and hadn’t been able to find anything. I’ll try searching for that module and see what I come up with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
jmorato427
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing