Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently worked on my brakes and forgot to put on my master cylinder cap back on before a test drive. Well it fell off somewhere and now I feel like a dumbass.

No problem, I'll buy a new one and all will be good. I've tried calling everywhere and nobody seems to have it instock. Part number 92213568 Discontinued product.

Checked the local junk yards and no G8's. Only thing I can find is to buy a used master cylinder off ebay just for the cap. Hate to spend $40.

Does anyone know of a replacement that would fit? Right now I have an old vitamin bottle cap duct taped down.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Can try contacting Greg at Pace Performance and see if he can locate the reservoir cap. Inquire with eBay sellers currently parting out G8's. Contact a few salvage yards and see if they have a G8. Rather surprised Dorman doesn't offer an aftermarket replacement. Would presume the reservoir cap is interchangeable with another master cylinder, but locating the alternate may prove challenging. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pace was one of the first ones I've tried. They said it was a discontinued item and suggested I try Napa. I checked their website but it didn't show anything. A junkyard 5 minutes away from my work showed online that they had a G8 but when I called they said that they do not sell just the cap. I see that eBay Australia had some available I may have to contact them to see how much shipping is.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Understood. Does the junkyard want $40 for the brake master cylinder?? Salvage yards I frequent will sell the buyer just about anything on the vehicle and have a parts listing for virtually everything. Have yet to spot a G8...ugh. Could also try starting a thread in the wanted to buy section of the forum as well. eBay Australia seems like it's a viable option.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
The part number for the Chevrolet Caprice master cylinder reservoir cap appears to be 22795538. If (that's a big if) the cap does fit on the G8, from all appearances it looks to say DOT 3. If not mistaken, all Pontiac use DOT 4 brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Saw that listing and it states..."Ships to: Australia" although it doesn't hurt to confirm.
I always message sellers and they're more than willing to get quotes and ship to the US.

Something like that wouldn't cost much to ship to the US.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
The part number for the Chevrolet Caprice master cylinder reservoir cap appears to be 22795538. If (that's a big if) the cap does fit on the G8, from all appearances it looks to say DOT 3. If not mistaken, all Pontiac use DOT 4 brake fluid.
Interesting and true.

But why the difference?

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to try to message the Australian ebay seller. Under contact it's says no international shipping but maybe he will.

Got excited that in his description it said it fits 07-09 Caprice. Didn't realize they didn't make them in the States then.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Called a dealership's parts department today just for kicks and no dice. A few days ago, contacted wolfman1192 here on the forum and no word as of yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Australian ebay seller never responded to my message but I was able to locate a G8 at a pick a part junkyard in Indianapolis. So I took a chance and 2 hour drive and was able to get a cap. There wasn't much left to the G8. Almost didn't recognize it when I walked by. I might put one of those pen chains on this cap so I don't lose it again next time I do my brakes.

I'm thinking I might take some measurements and 3d print another one just in case. Just not sure if PETG or PLA will withstand the brake fluid. If I do, I'll put it up on Thingiverse

Thanks Ponyman and GXP for your help with this!

Like any good hunter, I would like to take a moment to thank this poor G8 who gave it's life so I may have it's master cylinder cap. May you rest in pieces. :cry::)

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Good deal and for the record, haven't received another reply from the "wolfman" inquiry to date.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts