Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around the internet for tips on how to clean and maintain matte black paint (or any other matte colors) and most of the answers I found just had me asking more questions.

So I'm writing this not only for my interest but for others on here who might be wondering the same thing. So I came up with some questions that I hope cover just about everything people might ask.

If anyone from Adam's Polishes can chime in on this that would be very much appeciated or if you have first hand experience in dealing with matte colors please comment as well. Thank you!

1. Are most car wash soaps safe to use for cleaning matte colors? What do you recommend?

2. I hear you have to be careful in the manner that you wipe/rub on matte colors. So do I need to only use microfiber towels when cleaning them?

3. Is there a waxing process to matte colors or is there a specific protective compound that you need to use?

4. Do you need to be carefull not to get car waxes or polishes in contact with matte colors?

5. Are matte colors safe to clay bar or will that never really need to happen?

6. What is best to use for getting rid of tar, bugs, brake dust, or any difficult to remove debris on matte colors?

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
Matte colors should be the same process when it comes to cleaning as regular gloss paint. Matte paint will still have primer, base coat, and a matte clear coat.

The only issue (correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the matte paint gets scratched, you wouldn't be able to buff it out, nor you wouldn't want to buff the car in general since it can create unevenness in the paint.

1. Yes. As long as you don't use actual dish washing detergent, you can use any car was soap. I use meguires.

2.Use microfiber anytime you wipe down a car...chamois, waffle towel.

3.regular waxing agents should still be applied.

4.same as 3. Paint still needs to be protected.

5. Dirt or any airborn chemicals can still adhere to the paint which can cause the paint to fade, or cause imperfections.

6. Clay bar, and/or there's special sprays you get get from your local autoparts store that can be sprayed on and washed off. Very safe.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have been looking around the internet for tips on how to clean and maintain matte black paint (or any other matte colors) and most of the answers I found just had me asking more questions.

So I'm writing this not only for my interest but for others on here who might be wondering the same thing. So I came up with some questions that I hope cover just about everything people might ask.

If anyone from Adam's Polishes can chime in on this that would be very much appeciated or if you have first hand experience in dealing with matte colors please comment as well. Thank you!

1. Are most car wash soaps safe to use for cleaning matte colors? What do you recommend?

2. I hear you have to be careful in the manner that you wipe/rub on matte colors. So do I need to only use microfiber towels when cleaning them?

3. Is there a waxing process to matte colors or is there a specific protective compound that you need to use?

4. Do you need to be carefull not to get car waxes or polishes in contact with matte colors?

5. Are matte colors safe to clay bar or will that never really need to happen?

6. What is best to use for getting rid of tar, bugs, brake dust, or any difficult to remove debris on matte colors?
I owned a Satin black T/A so Ill throw in my experience. Now it all depends on what paint you choose to use. I used Hot Rod Flatz and it didn't have a clear coat on it.

1. From my experience, It didnt matter what kind of soap I used.

2. I used a regular bath towel to wipe it down. Never saw one swirl on the paint.

3. I believe there is a matte wax that you can apply to the car. I never used the satin jobs were still considered new.

4&5. No answer on that. I never ran into that issue.

6. On mine, bugs just wiped off IF you did not let them sit. One popped up under my flip up light and I didnt notice and it ate into the paint. Could have been there for a month though. I never really got brakedust on the car... The finish was more of a smooth finish unlike regular paint that you can feel grip? your finger as you run over it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
bmw offers a satin/matte finish wash, wax etc kit for our new special edition paint job. it is extremely expensive though. although its expensive, it does the best job that ive seen so far. we had a guy purchase a pearl matte white m3 and he traded it in a month later because he hated washing it so often. ill see if i can come up with a part number but im off until next week.

·
Registered
449 Posts
bmw offers a satin/matte finish wash, wax etc kit for our new special edition paint job. it is extremely expensive though. although its expensive, it does the best job that ive seen so far. we had a guy purchase a pearl matte white m3 and he traded it in a month later because he hated washing it so often. ill see if i can come up with a part number but im off until next week.
Keep me posted on that would you? PM me some pricing please!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
While stupid expensive and hard to maintain, it is soooooo sexy haha. I think with a matte finish like your probably talking it would be OK to use a soft rag/sponge and some mild soap. It would depend on what the preperation was, if its just paint with no clear or what. The kit includes shampoo, cleaner, nano wax, quick wax and applicators...just under 500 bones...I know right...probably why that guy traded out of it. You also have to sign a waiver type paper when you buy one stating you understand about the paint yadda yadda.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was trying to refer matte colors that are either painted on by a body shop, vinyle wraps, and/or plasti-dip. (Assuming most rules about taking care of them are the same)

My main concerns were not to use a soap that would some how eat away at the matte color. Like i've seen with people who spray painted their rims black and then would use a rim and tire cleaner and end up washing off the paint. I know flat color spray paint is different from matte but you still wonder if the same rules apply when washing it.

I also heard of people waxing their cars and getting a white paste look that they can't get off. There was also the concern that if you use a traditional car wax that it could make the matte color look more glossy then flat. (like clear coat glossy)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
yeah, unless you get the vehicle painted like the M3 in the video, you probably dont need that expensive stuff, now that ive seen that video i also understand more about why that kind of paint is different from others. we also have an m5 that a girl had done in plastidip (I think she said she paid 500 to get the whole car done) it has been in a few times getting work done, each time it gets detailed. after talking to the detailer, he said he uses hand wash, lightly with mothers car wash. ive also washed the accents on my car done in plastidip using the same method and no flaking, fading etc has occurred.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was trying to find something from Adam's Polishes for taking care of matte colors (since I preffer Adam's products and they are a sponsor) and could only find this.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-adams-quick-sealant.aspx

The discription says it will protect matte finishes and many others, but I get nervous with products that say you can use it on any surface. In reality there is nothing wrong with that, i've just seen too many products that state "Safe on all surfaces" and find out it's just some greasy oil that smears and leaves streaks everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
I was trying to find something from Adam's Polishes for taking care of matte colors (since I preffer Adam's products and they are a sponsor) and could only find this.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-adams-quick-sealant.aspx

The discription says it will protect matte finishes and many others, but I get nervous with products that say you can use it on any surface. In reality there is nothing wrong with that, i've just seen too many products that state "Safe on all surfaces" and find out it's just some greasy oil that smears and leaves streaks everywhere.
Matt, you should sign up on the Adams forums and post these questions. Adams staff are all over there answering questions that you post. Great forum over there, a lot of us are on that forum as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts