Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just cant believe nobody has made or offers a DRONE free axle back for these cars!?

You have OBX (and Maximizer), Kooks, and ARH that all offer from heads to axle. I think they all offer an axle back muffler and tips, but ALL of them are drone machines!

Solo are out of the question, but are probably the ones that could make a set with a decent muffler combined with their helmholz J-tube.

The Hooker MaxFlows shound great, but getting a shop to custom make these isn't really what I'm looking for! GXP's are outlandishly expensive, and hard to find.

I always liked the flowmaster sound, but they droned like hell. Whatever gets made, needs a J-tube to cut the drone.

Sorry to rant....But I think I'm speaking for a lot of guys with LTH's and their respective midpipes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My Hooker MaxFlows were $70 a piece, and it cost me $100 to make axlebacks at my local exhaust shop (I supplied tips). You need to find a good exhaust shop! They have ZERO drone and sound amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Yep, my maxflows sounds great and don't drone!! I traded my old solos for them!

·
Not a real person
274 Posts
My Hooker MaxFlows were $70 a piece, and it cost me $100 to make axlebacks at my local exhaust shop (I supplied tips). You need to find a good exhaust shop! They have ZERO drone and sound amazing.
Don't believe you without a sound clip :)

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Oh, I believe these are a good muffler.

What I can't believe is why NOBODY has come out with a bolt-on axle back that sounds great, flows great, and has no drone!?

I cant see why Corsa can't come out with an axle back? I love their sound, just don't feel like buying a $1300 cat back system when all I really want is the axle back portion.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Because Corsa's whole foundation of their exhaust is 1) NO Drone 2) Sound 3) Flow. They only can guarantee those with their entire catback.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah,... but I'll bet ya $1377 Corsa Dollars that if you sawed off the rear cans on the Corsa cat back system. Then welded them up to either Kooks, OBX, or Maximizer LTH's and their respective mid pipes that there would be NO drone, it would flow BETTER than the 2.5" Corsa pipes and sound great!

·
Not a real person
274 Posts
Another set on the road. Got mine installed yesterday. Fit is great, no clearancing required anywhere. Super easy install. However, if you want that awesome sound then you will need to replace the stock cans. There is a noticable difference in sound, but nothing to brag about.

Btw...mine is a 2009. Not sure if the people that have had to do a little grinding have had '08's?

·
Registered
132 Posts
So the ebay add makes it appear that the setup is 1-7/8 primaries to a 3" collector and then a 2-1/2" mid pipe. Is it actually 1-7/8" primaries and then ALL 3" from there back?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It necks down to 2-1/2" at the joint in the middle

·
Registered
260 Posts
So the ebay add makes it appear that the setup is 1-7/8 primaries to a 3" collector and then a 2-1/2" mid pipe. Is it actually 1-7/8" primaries and then ALL 3" from there back?
The headers are pretty darn close to 1 7/8s (I did measure everything before throwing mine on), from the collector to a bit after the front half of the x-pipe it is 3in, it goes down to 2 1/2 somewhere down the back half of the x-pipe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
same here. pulled the trigger...only two were left

·
Registered
185 Posts
So funny thing happened guys. Logged on to marylandspeed to order new gm gaskets and Casper o2 extension........but total price came out ato $650.......somehow a set of dba brakes found It's way on my order. Weird how that happens.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Went with the OBX from Amazon. For an extra $20 it was just piece of mind to deal with Amazon, there have been a couple times in the past that I've had issues with damaged merchandise or warranty type stuff to deal with and they are excellent at backing what they sell. I almost bought the Kooks headers until they said it would be over 2 weeks until they received more in stock

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. Packed fairly well. Had a few area's where pipes poked through the box. At 75lbs, and coming from Asia, I'd like to see heavier/thicker cardboard, but things looked fine inside.

Problem is,.....My car is at the dealer with (likely) camshaft/lifter/lifter bore failure. So mods will be on hold till all is OK with the warranty repairs!

Man, am I glad this didn't happen the other way around. Headers on, then lifter failure! Yikes!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just ordered some headers today. Pacesetters. I installed a cam and replaced lifters this pass Wednesday. Had a lifer collapsed so I did a dod delete package from VMS. 1.5 cam package. Headers should be in next week. Than its tune time.

·
Registered
895 Posts
For those installing this kit, I recommend the Victor Heinz axleback exhaust flange gaskets, the stock ones get trashed pretty quick

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mine came with a pair of axle back gaskets. Do some not?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts