Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got my solo axlebacks earlier this year shouldn't those gaskets be good?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I guess some dont come with gaskets.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine came with a pair of axle back gaskets. Do some not?
The kit comes with axleback gaskets. I don't know if the OP had the same issue as me - the holes on the gaskets for the bolts to go thru were way off, so I modified them.

I would recommend getting factory ones, better material and will fit perfect.

·
Not a real person
274 Posts
I disconnected mine. It was just easier and takes no effort. Yes, you will need a spacer or stacked washers for the dipstick

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My Maximizer kit came with axleback gaskets, but I opted to buy some higher quality ones off RockAuto.

I disconnected my steering shaft, and the driver side header slid right in easily. And I used a large nut to space out the dipstick.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Any specific part numbers for these little gaskets???

I bought a set of NEW GM header gaskets. Just don't want to run into issues when it comes time to install.

Someone mentioned Victon Heinz, I heard FelPro in another thread. Just looking for a specific part number to cross reference.

I highly doubt by the amount of rust on my factory exhaust flanges that the factory ones will come apart without tearing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
gm gasket are as good or better than anything elsd=e'

the stock manifolds and cats will come out as one piece , just need to undo the cat to catback connection , wd-40 rust , or pb rustbuster will be helpful , along with some heat in the pipes to loosen thing ups

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes....and what would that part number of those gaskets be??? I see GM header gaskets all over as they use them on EVERY LS engine. These axle back gaskets are a G8 only item.

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks! Already have the O2 extender.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I also used a pair of VICTOR REINZ Part # F32258 gaskets. $5.45 each off RockAuto. Definitely buy new GM exhaust manifold gaskets.

And I did NOT need an O2 extension for either side of my headers, and I bought one just in case (and somehow I was sent TWO), so I have two I need to get rid of still. Anyone need?

·
Registered
185 Posts
i had two issues with this system so far, one th passanger header where its a close fit to the frame well mine rubbed so we wheeled off the coner so there would be no contact. and two the mid pipes seem to hit the crossbrace on big bupms even tho we tighten the bolts as much as we could. is yours doing the same??

·
Not a real person
274 Posts
Get rid of those springs on the bolt...they serve no purpose. With those gone you can tighten things down and the exhaust will stay in place.

And your vid link doesn't work

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
i had two issues with this system so far, one th passanger header where its a close fit to the frame well mine rubbed so we wheeled off the coner so there would be no contact. and two the mid pipes seem to hit the crossbrace on big bupms even tho we tighten the bolts as much as we could. is yours doing the same??
I have not had any issues at all. NOTHING rubs, and the mid pipes are pushed up as high as possible, then torqued the nuts down, so nothing is touching the crossbrace. I have had ZERO issues with these things so far. I love them.

Also, here's a video of it at the track last week. Ran three passes and were very consistent at 2.11x 60', 8.65x @ 83.xx mph. No burnout on all season tires, launching off idle. I'm sure I could have gotten a much lower 60' had I eased into the throttle easier. It was still enough to whoop up on a lot of cars at the track that night.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just installed the OBX system on my car and it looks identical to the pics in the OP. I preferred the Amazon peace of mind also, which is why I chose them.

Passenger header was very close to the subframe and after inspecting it after a few miles there were contact marks so I had it grinded down a little.

I didn't use any springs on the ball-socket clamps.

I couldn't raise the midpipe off the crossmember without the connection pipes hitting the trans cross member, so I chose to let it rest on the rear crossmember and use spacers to lower it. However, I had the X-pipe welded because the band clamps wouldn't seal and they did just the opposite; raised the rear and now the connection pipes hit the trans crossmember under heavy throttle.. Presumably from the torque twist of the engine.

I didn't use any gaskets on the stock rear mufflers, nor have I ever. High temp RTV hasn't leaked on me yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I found an old video of the G8 after the cats and Hooker MaxFlows with my wife just giving it a hair of throttle. I just had to edit out some BS so you could hear it. Again Hooker MaxFlow mufflers have ZERO drove, and very tame inside the car, yet people still know you have some exhaust work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bumping this for those looking for some of these, a seller on ebay changed his price today from $700 + $95 shipping down to $539 + $95 shipping, I went ahead and offered $525 + $95 shipping to two other sellers on ebay pointing out that one sellers drop in price and one of them agreed to it so if you make an offer to the seller "bigdawgtuning14" for $525 + $95 shipping he will sell them, I just ordered a set, not bad for $625 shipped.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts