Pontiac G8 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I just offered and he countered at $530 so I picked up a set. I'll probably have the headers coated as they are brushed mild steel and not SS anymore. Not sure about coating the rest of the system. Anyone use hammerite or DIY cermanic coating for the cat back? Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pull the trigger at $700. But there are two other vendors offering at $539 or so. And this vendor lowered his price too. Looks like these vendors were trying to see if they could sell at the same price as before when they were SS. They even use the same ss picture it looks like.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I appears my pictures have been taken down. I'll try and get them rehosted soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just offered and he countered at $530 so I picked up a set. I'll probably have the headers coated as they are brushed mild steel and not SS anymore. Not sure about coating the rest of the system. Anyone use hammerite or DIY cermanic coating for the cat back? Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pull the trigger at $700. But there are two other vendors offering at $539 or so. And this vendor lowered his price too. Looks like these vendors were trying to see if they could sell at the same price as before when they were SS. They even use the same ss picture it looks like.
I may be wrong or misreading my warranty card that came with them but I believe these are in fact stainless steel. All sites that list these headers say "Sand Blast Finish", that doesn't mean mild steel, warranty card states they have a lifetime warranty on all SUS 304 Stainless steel mufflers, headers and exhaust systems. They even appear to be just what it states, a sand blasted finish SS header.

EDIT, upon looking at them closer, they don't look so much sand blasted, just an unpolished stainless, I would guess the sand blast finish statement was the best way to describe them from a selling stand point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-Pontiac-G8-GT-6-0L-Maximizer-Header-Long-Tube-With-X-Pipe-Cat-Deleted-/201477197298?fits=Model%3AG8%7CSubmodel%3AGT&hash=item2ee8fa0df2:g:AkEAAOSwt6ZWU5tS&vxp=mtr

Says sand blast mild steel.

I mean I'd love them to be SS. I bet they just use the same old warranty card.

I wonder if there is a way to tell. ie... magnet will stick to mild steel but not 304 ss?

Read this ad's same description, they are SS, it's just that the sellers either don't know or don't care about what they are selling...the pics on the link are of the actual headers, I included pics of what I just got in. They are just unpolished stainless.

or as they state "High quality sand blast polished 304 grade stainless steel"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximizer-S...ash=item1c5e517d14:g:wRMAAOSwZ1lWcLEu&vxp=mtr

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I got a reply. He said they were SS according to the maker. So I don't think he really knew for sure. I emailed some other ebay person offering them and they said mild steel.

I'm getting mine in the next few days so I'll take pics. Can you put a magnet to yours? Strong attraction should = mild steel. No or weak attraction should = some type of ss

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a reply. He said they were SS according to the maker. So I don't think he really knew for sure. I emailed some other ebay person offering them and they said mild steel.

I'm getting mine in the next few days so I'll take pics. Can you put a magnet to yours? Strong attraction should = mild steel. No or weak attraction should = some type of ss
They are SS, I didn't think twice about it until you posted they were mild, that caused me to question them, took them out of the box and checked, SS without a doubt. Those sellers are probably middle men and don't even have the parts in their hands. I cant see a manufacturer producing 100's of sets in SS then switch to an inferior steel later on, that would make for bad business. I'm looking for someone who has a tumbler big enough to put them in so I can polish them up. Beats $300+ for cerakote or the like which isn't really necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just ordered mine the other day as well. I'm going to run them with no mufflers at first. I don't mufflers on my axlebacks, mi be are just straight through and I put my magnaflow dual in/dual out muffler towards the center of my existing exhaust. So I'll see how straight pipe sound's, then I'll figure out which axlebacks to go with.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Alright guys, I got my pictures hosted back up. If you haven't seen them, go back to the 1st page and check them out.

But for the sake of an update, it's been almost 2 years now, and these headers are still flawless. I have zero leaks, zero rust, and the polished stainless still looks very good. It has that orange/blue burnt stainless look now. Best bang for the buck headers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alright guys, I got my pictures hosted back up. If you haven't seen them, go back to the 1st page and check them out.

But for the sake of an update, it's been almost 2 years now, and these headers are still flawless. I have zero leaks, zero rust, and the polished stainless still looks very good. It has that orange/blue burnt stainless look now. Best bang for the buck headers.
I love that burnt orange/blue look! My maximziers come in Monday. I'm getting eager! :driving:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maximizer axle back size

I love that burnt orange/blue look! My maximziers come in Monday. I'm getting eager! :driving:
I just ordered the maximizer myself and am getting excited. I also ordered the Hooker Maxflows in a 3" inlet. Does anyone know if that is the correct size? I keep hearing how the Maximizer tapers down to 2.5....any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
You will need 2.5" inlet.

Damn, my pictures got dropped from the host again!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes, offset inlet/center outlet, 2.5" was perfect for me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It wouldn't be hard to have a shop fabricate a Full 3" from this either. Your going to be fabbing the muffler area. If you already have the 3" mufflers, thats what I'd do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got mine all together finally! Sounds great paired up with GXP mufflers. I had a set back while installing. The manifold bolt on the passenger side was broken off so I ended up having to remove the whole head to carefully extract it out. Not fun, but a learning process. Now I'm just waiting to get it tuned, can't wait!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the Maximizer 1&7/8" stainless longtube header with 3" x-pipe catback kit from ebay for $700 + $95 shipping. Rumor has it, they are rebranded OBX or something, but cannot confirm. I received them in about 6 days, and the packaging was very well done. It came with header gaskets, and axleback gaskets, but I bought new gaskets and new header bolts for both from GM because the supplied gaskets looked very cheap. It came with 8 spring bolts for the ball flanges. It did NOT include nuts for the axlebacks. The stock piping has internal threads for the axleback bolts, but the Maximizer pipes do not thread, so you will have to find some nuts to fit the stock bolts for the axlebacks.

I was very impressed with the quality. The welds, flanges, and bends were all smooth. Even the merge collector was smooth.

The install went SUPER easy, and I had it done in under 4 hours start to finish. I did not have to remove the spark plugs, but I did have to temporarily disconnect the steering shaft to fit the driver side header in. The passenger side slid smoothly in. There were no sharp edges at all. Everything bolted up smoothly. The measurements and dimensions all fit perfectly. Bottom line, it was a direct, perfect fit. The hardest part of this entire install, was removing my stock O2 sensors.

The resonators after the headers are actually real resonators, they are not just a hollow pipe. When you look inside, the inner walls have holes for baffling, but I couldn't tell what was in it. I plan to remove them and have some 3" Thunderbolt 300cell cats installed, and take some "muffler-delete" axlebacks that I have and install Hooker MaxFlow mufflers that I have here, and I will update this when I get those installed.

So they’re not cats? I figured they were catted mids...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have the same. Not they are not cats. Just resonators. But I bought a set of Kooks high flow cats and they fit perfect. That’s how exact this system is to Kooks.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts