Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how, but my floor jack slipped when i was rotating my tires and it f*cked up driver side rocker panel, and then some.

Can you you guys tell me by looking at the pics if I damaged more than just the panel? Is it worth investing in a replacement, or should I just leave it?

I'm surprised how well the panel held the weight of the car.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Yes, more than the rocker panel was damaged. Doubt it's worth investing in a replacement especially if the rocker panel sits flush i.e. not bulging or loose and looks as it should. The other damage is to the bottom where the rust is pictured and may be able to use some pliers and/or heat to bend it back into place. Looks like the hole for the rivet on the fender liner is torn as well which is a common issue. At the end of the day, even being somewhat of an accused perfectionist say leave it be. By the way, the jacking point I tropical use is the frame member on the bottom near the exhaust. Have bent a fair share of "jack points" in the past and avoid using that area unless absolutely necessary on any vehicle. Seems like they're better suited for scissor versus floor jacks.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
To me it looks like that outer section of sheet metal has sorta been rolled upwards away from the inner sheet metal section at that pinch weld area. If that is so (an for your peace of mind), maybe it can be rolled back an tap hammered back into position an mig or tic welded. It doesn't look real bad to me based on what I can see on my car in that area. Can't tell if the rocker panel was damaged to much to continue as is. But they still have new unpainted panels for sale (also used for the SS model) for about $141 with a P/N 92162071 if needed/desired. Or less from a salvaged car (that might even be painted in the correct color).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts