Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/Gals, I'm working on installing an MGW shifter in my G8 and have run into a snag. After reading the different install stories here on the board, I went into this knowing it would not be a fun project. However, I thought I would at least be able to do it. I have Kooks LTs on my car and can see no way that it's possible to get the trans brace out without dropping the exhaust. Has anyone installed an MGW on a car with LTs? All 4 trans brace bolts are fully released, but they sit on top of the exhaust and do not clear the holes on the underside of the car. I'm not able to maneurver them clear of the exhaust to be able to remove them.

I tried to remove the cat sections of the exhaust but am not able to as it's been on for about 3 years and is not budging (I'm doing this on jack stands in my garage). Any advice before I put it back together and drop a bunch more money to have a shop do this?

Any suggestions would be great...thanks!

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
i did this in my garage on jack stands as well. i also have kooks LTs. it was a pain

it was a long time ago since i did it but i am almost positive i didn't remove the exhaust.

i can't tell in the pic. is the trans brace hitting the header or the exhaust aft of the header?

·
GWS Pontiac
634 Posts
looks like you're gonna have to remove the headers ...

i know that's not what you want to hear, but that looks like the only way you'll be able to remove the trans brace ...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yep, drop the exhaust

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after about an hour of laying on my back trying to manuever the trans brace out, I said F it and called my local shop. They said it would probably take about an hour and half and quoted me about $150 for the install. With that said, I got back in the garage and put it back together.

Not worth saving the $150 to drop the exhaust, so I'll be taking it in. Oh well, I gave it a good effort, but it's really frustrating having spent all that time with nothing to show for it other than some bloody knuckles...

Oh well....

·
Registered
90 Posts
GTO man - Did you get it installed? I am sorry I missed this post. I have kooks LT's and put mine in with jack stands. It wasn't easy, but it just had enough room after fighting for a bit (my Kooks Lt's are only a few months old). They make a nice setup! I just spoke with George at MGW and ordered their new Tunable street/track rear support bushing bracket. 2 inserts that offer more rubber in the bracket to cut down on the NVH in the cabin and I hope it helps with what I think is a slightly out of balance drive shaft vibration/sound. I can't go back to stock now!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I took it to my local shop and had them install it. They charged me $180 for the install, which I think was very fair. I still don't see how this could be done without dropping the exhaust, you guys are better than I am.

It is amazing the difference it makes. Regarding additional noise, I have the slp loudmouth with no mufflers connected to my kooks LTs, so even if it's making some more noise, I can't hear it, it's awesome!

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
to get rid of the vibration noise after MGW install i removed the rear AC vents and took off the part of the vent that allows you to point them left/right. after that no, more in cabin annoying vibration noise.

agreed, can't go back to stock now. MGW is too awesome!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have no idea what shifter is currently in my car (was there when i bought it), but it is very "notchy"...thinking about going to MGW. Thoughts? Which one, the camaro one? I want to use the stock shift knob.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I'm looking at the Barton shifter, along with MGW and a couple others. They make them for the Camaro, so it should fit ours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have no idea what shifter is currently in my car (was there when i bought it), but it is very "notchy"...thinking about going to MGW. Thoughts? Which one, the camaro one? I want to use the stock shift knob.
I have the MGW in my car and love it. I installed it at the same time I did my headers and exhaust, so all of that was out of the way. I also had someone in the car tightening bolts while I was underneath holding it in place.

When you order the shifter, make sure you specify that it's for a GXP and you want to use the stock shifter, George told me it makes a difference.

I've been living with the noise from the center console since I installed the shifter a year ago. Time to look at the rear vents!

Mark

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you need to order the camaro one from MGW. Also, as mentioned, specify it's going in a G8 as they shift knob stalk is a bit different than that on the camaro, this will ensure you're stock shift knob will fit....

I've done quite a few mods to my car and this is definitely one of the most satisfying one...

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
you can easily identify the shifter by removing just the center console plastic.

depending on what style of knob you have currently you may need a different style knob mount assuming you have the MGW. i believe the kit comes with two. one is a press fit and i forget how the other one works. maybe just allen screws?

i switched to this knob over the factory one because the press fit factory knob kept coming loose and slipping off in the Texas heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.