Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

After 3 proud years of ownership I might be parting with my Mighty V6 G8. I have been casually talking to some Dodge Dealers and the offers kept getting more attractive for the R/T. So basically I am able to get a stripped down R/T with the spoiler for about $27,200 including 4 Blizzac Snow tires to top things off. I told them I wanted to keep 1K for snows so they just threw the snows at me free of charge. They are looking for buyers and are being pretty agressive. Also I was also offered $18,000 for my trade (34,500 miles with no options). I bought my car for $20,240. Its kind of a hard deal to pass up. I'll let you know of course but wanted to say something before I left ya.

I may be joining the dark side!!!!

If I sell my stock Mufflers, My Intake and GForce Performance chip will be up for auction.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Personally i think the R/T's look good and provide adequate power. the down side is lots of others have them (along with the cops), i tend to lean more towards the unique side of things (G8's).

But really for that kinda of cash why not go with a used low mileage G8 GT? Just my $.02

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Well I will agree that they are offering you a pretty good deal. The chargers do look good but they wont perform like a stock g8 gt and you could get some better options on the g8 gt as well and do it all for a cheaper price. But then again they arent offering you 18000 trade in against a g8 gt. All said I would take a r/t charger over a v6 g8 if that means anything.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally i think the R/T's look good and provide adequate power. the down side is lots of others have them (along with the cops), i tend to lean more towards the unique side of things (G8's).

But really for that kinda of cash why not go with a used low mileage G8 GT? Just my $.02

I did think of that but I am out of warranty in a month and would feel better being under factory warranty. Plus if I had a GT I know how i'd drive it and I am not sure how comfortable I'd be buying a car that could have been driven as hard as I would drive it. Plus I would drive it l agressively and if the previous owner drove it like I did it would definitly break. I live on a pretty strict budget. Out of pocket expenses are not something I am comfortable with. If the GT was still offered new and would be in that 30K range I wouldnt second guess buying another.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals,

After 3 proud years of ownership I might be parting with my Mighty V6 G8. I have been casually talking to some Dodge Dealers and the offers kept getting more attractive for the R/T. So basically I am able to get a stripped down R/T with the spoiler for about $27,200 including 4 Blizzac Snow tires to top things off. I told them I wanted to keep 1K for snows so they just threw the snows at me free of charge. They are looking for buyers and are being pretty agressive. Also I was also offered $18,000 for my trade (34,500 miles with no options). I bought my car for $20,240. Its kind of a hard deal to pass up. I'll let you know of course but wanted to say something before I left ya.

I may be joining the dark side!!!!

If I sell my stock Mufflers, My Intake and GForce Performance chip will be up for auction.
We hate to see you let go of your G8, but you need to do what is best for you. I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Sad to hear that you have been lured to the dark side, but if you must , you must. But in 3 short years mine will be payed off and clear up finances to get a V-8 SS in 015, if you must let me know about the chip. GL
Rob

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sad to hear that you have been lured to the dark side, but if you must , you must. But in 3 short years mine will be payed off and clear up finances to get a V-8 SS in 015, if you must let me know about the chip. GL
Rob
Well see I it actually happens though. The temptation is there that's for sure. Going from a 15 to a 13 second car is tempting. Especially when you don't have to pay for snow tires your payment drops $50 a month and you don't have to replace your front tires and rear rotors and pads cause they are at the end of their life. Plus it gets me back into a warranty.

Have the price on the SS been released yet? I am sure it will be too much

·
Registered
140 Posts
When i was looking for a car, i test drove a R/t Charger, then 30 min later drove a g8 gt. Trust me go with the g8. The charger felt plasticy and cheaply made. However when we opened the hood there was a lot of space around the motor which could be a plus if your looking to mod it. But bottom line in the g8, your getting better quality, a faster car, and a unique car, plus it costs less than you'll pay for that charger.

I dont regret passing up that charger at all! haha

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i was looking for a car, i test drove a R/t Charger, then 30 min later drove a g8 gt. Trust me go with the g8. The charger felt plasticy and cheaply made. However when we opened the hood there was a lot of space around the motor which could be a plus if your looking to mod it. But bottom line in the g8, your getting better quality, a faster car, and a unique car, plus it costs less than you'll pay for that charger.

I dont regret passing up that charger at all! haha
Did you test drive the new gen Charger??? I have only heard mostly very good things about the 2012s. I want a V8 badly. Not 100% confident going with a used G8 with similar miles and no warranty. That's my main concern. I'll test drive and see

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Get the Charger and don't look back. No offense, V6 G8 is lame - way too many other cars out there I'd rather have for the price - looks the part but no balls and crap tranny.

New Chargers look great inside/out - mod potential is there, and it already has PLENTY of power. The technology/gadgets in it are more plentiful and better than GM products.

·
Registered
426 Posts
when i upgraded my v6 to Gt last august i went threw the dealership. got to look at the previous owners history of service, checked the vin for accidents etc. they ended up giving me 20k for my V6 with like 63xxx km and the GT i got had 72xxx km which were all hiway km's and picked it up for 24k. and i got them to include extended warranty. i also had winter tires on my V6 rims that i told them i was keeping and to put the ugly non sport GT wheels on my old car to sell.

haven't looked back yet. love the V8 and haven't had any issues with it being pre owned

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get the Charger and don't look back. No offense, V6 G8 is lame - way too many other cars out there I'd rather have for the price - looks the part but no balls and crap tranny.

New Chargers look great inside/out - mod potential is there, and it already has PLENTY of power. The technology/gadgets in it are more plentiful and better than GM products.
That's more or less how I feel. Not sure if I would go as far as lame cause it handles amazing but it does not have the power train like you said one initially thinks of when you say you have a G8. I am known as the V6 G8 owner at Advanced. I love my car but need the power. 370 hp is going to be something. Too bad the v6 weren't the DI. I prob wouldn't think about selling yet. 15.3 although quick for the V6 G8 I just embarrassing at the track.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
when i upgraded my v6 to Gt last august i went threw the dealership. got to look at the previous owners history of service, checked the vin for accidents etc. they ended up giving me 20k for my V6 with like 63xxx km and the GT i got had 72xxx km which were all hiway km's and picked it up for 24k. and i got them to include extended warranty. i also had winter tires on my V6 rims that i told them i was keeping and to put the ugly non sport GT wheels on my old car to sell.

haven't looked back yet. love the V8 and haven't had any issues with it being pre owned
:iagree:
Since i only have 3 years left to pay and am waiting till the SS is here and am going to keep the 8 as my DD. The ONLY way it goes is to get the price of the SS down.

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
I would get a new charger over a used G8GT any day. As much as I love my G8, the new chargers look nice, have a warranty, and have a better fit and finish than the old chargers.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Get the Charger. I would in a heartbeat over a V6 G8 and even a GT. Considering it's newer has a warranty and you know how it was driven. I've driven the new R/T's and they are pretty nice not as fast as a GT but quick enough. Only thing that sucks is that the ecm's haven't been cracked for tuning.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Whatever you decide I wish you the very best in your decision. As for me, everywhere I go, I see about 10 Chargers. 15 Camaros. 6 Challengers. And about 5 or so mustangs. I like to stand out and own 1 of 3 G8's in the neighborhood. Having said that, the V6 serves it's purpose well for the majority of us that brought it in the first place and I've seen people move from V6 to GT. GT to GXP. GXP to xyz. In essence, it really boils down to personal preference. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Best of luck.
Im looking at selling mine also ..No trade .. private sell.
Was looking at the Charger but Im going to take my time and decide whats best for me.

Make sure you take your time and do not rush into anything. I would test drive the Charger more than once and really test drive it. FK the sales person ..drive it like you stole it to make sure you are going to like everything about it. Good luck!

·
The Partsman
117 Posts
$18,000 trade sounds like a good deal. I got a little bit more for almost the exact same car on trade (last weekend).

The new R/T is awesome, definetly something that still has some get up and go! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I don't know that that's still true about the chargers being "untunable" - if that's the case how are guys adding headers and cams etc. ?? You can't install those kinds of mods w/o tuning the ECM - the car would run like garbage.

I think that's just hearsay thrown out by GM and Ford loyalists.

What would you call this:

Plus, as much as I like modding cars, you don't NEED to do much on a 370 (or 470hp) car to begin w/ - for god's sake - mid late 90's FERRARI'S were running low 13 1/4 mile passes and that's par for the course on today's American muscle.

To think a used G8 GT out of warranty is a smarter buy than a new Charger R/T is just dumb to say. You can nearly STEAL a Charger today from the dealer (especially w/ anticipation of the 8 speed auto) and they have great warranties and plenty of interior/exterior upgrades over the previous generation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts