Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

How often do you guys change your oil? I'm 500 km away from 5000km since my last oil change, that I had done at Mr.Lube [$108 for synthetic oil]...I have 35,550km [22,000 miles] on my 2009 G8 v6 that I bought a couple months back. Is it best to get an oil change done every 5000km?

Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I do, but you don't need to. I do them myself, so the cost is about half what you pay for your one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well per the owners manual it is normal to go10-12,000 miles between changes but cannot exceed a year if you use their oil life system. My change oil light has never gone on. I just look at my oil life on onstar. I usually change it when it gets down to 25-30% life. It's usually 7-8k in

·
DINSTAAR
494 Posts
I change mine using the oil life monitor on the car. When it gets to the 20% mark thats when I start thinking about changing the oil, filter and rotating tires. I don't pay attention to the mileage, but I do keep a record of it in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i do it when the light comes on. around 8,000-9,000 for me.

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
I change it when the car tells me to. Around 12K miles. I use roayl Purple oil. 42K on the car now. It's in the shop for a timming chain issue but they can't blame it on oil changes as I've changed it when the car said to.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I change my oil twice per year no matter what the mileage. (Super Bowl weekend and Hall of Fame Game weekend) Typically that is about 4,000 miles for me and I only use Mobil 1 synthetic. I know it is a bit of overkill, but if you do it yourself it only cost about $70 per change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dealer thought he would be slick and sell me the maintenance package for $500. So, knowing how much oil these cars hold and knowing that it uses mobil 1... I took them up on it. I make sure they use mobil 1 syn every time an bring it back every 3000-3500 miles. With 23k on the car already, I'm pretty sure I got moneys worth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I change mine every 10000 miles (which I usually do in about 4 months) with Mobil1 synthetic.

Bought 2 5qt jugs from Wal-Mart for the first change and since I have a V6 (7 qt. capacity), I usually have oil left over. So each change costs about $30.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
About every 10,000 miles or so using Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil. I beg to differ on if it's a good or bad idea.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I just changed mine today, Mobil 1 5W-30, Fram filter, after 10k miles, and my system said oil life was down to 8%. The oil that came out looked exactly like brand new oil. I was somewhat surprised by that. I'm used to seeing thick, black oil once its used.

·
Registered
705 Posts
with synthetic like mobil 1, the reason for the oil change is that the filter needs the change, not the oil, which can far outlast the filter.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I change my oil every 5000 miles and use conventional oil and a BG MAO Oil supplement and BG CF5 Fuel supplement.

BG MOA keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation.

BG CF5 will keep intake manifolds, intake ports, intake valves and combustion chambers clean and free of damaging deposits. Maintains "like-new" engine performance.

·
DINSTAAR
494 Posts
About every 10,000 miles or so using Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil. I beg to differ on if it's a good or bad idea.
Nobody can debate you on that. As long as it meets or exceeds GM specs you are doing everything right. GM tested it with that conventional oil, maybe with many more hours than many people on this forum will ever will.
:wink2:

Most people don't realize the additives in oil is what break down, thats what the OLM is based off of some formula on how long the additives will last.

·
Registered
74 Posts
start using G Oil ....cheap oil change after rebates.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
When I first got the car I'd have it changed every 3,000-3,500 until it had about 20,000, now I go 5-7,000 miles always use 5w30 and Fram extended guard

Unless you drive like a complete a-hole the engine should go 150,000 before it drops any power or gives any issues as long as you change the oil regularly...may start burning oil as the mileage gets up there (mine hasn't yet w/ 68,000), and you would probably want to change spark plugs @ 100,000...but I seriously see no reason the engine/tranny combo can't go 150k w/o ANY issues.

I think a big reason I have no lifter tick or issues w/ the DOD parts etc. is because I have always used synthetic and have been religious about not letting it go too long. Those parts are @ the top of the engine and would be the first to start suffering if the oil was losing its viscosity, I also think higher than needed revs are a killer for the LSx engines....I plan on hitting 120-140,000 before I even think about selling it:driving:

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I change my oil every 5000 miles and use conventional oil and a BG MAO Oil supplement and BG CF5 Fuel supplement.

BG MOA keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation.

BG CF5 will keep intake manifolds, intake ports, intake valves and combustion chambers clean and free of damaging deposits. Maintains "like-new" engine performance.
I was actually looking into some sort of additive myself and this seems like a pretty, viable option. PM sent!!!

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
Long story short.

I put in Royal Purple oil at 700 miles. been using it ever since. Change it at the OLM recomendations which is about 12K miles.

Car's in for a CEL. they replaced the timming chain which is a known issue. I gave them RP to put back in the car. They test drove it and had another CEL. GM Tech said replace bearings. Dealer mentioned RP oil and that I ha djust given them 8 qts. GM Tech said replace it with RP at dealer cost. Said RP was better than anything that they put in it. So I'll keep putting in RP. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts