Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some very minor scratches on the plastic glove box and on the lower interior door panels. Scratches might be a misnomer, more like a scuff. There are very small amounts of plastic that is slightly fuzzy on the edge of the scratch.

Has anyone found a way to remove this 'fuzz'?

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
I'll have to start this post referring to a golf club. A lot of golf club irons have a hard "tapered" plastic piece installed to create a smooth transition zone from the iron head to steel shaft. A lot of the times, the diameter of that plastic piece (ferrule) is larger than the diameter of the iron head. It is carefully sanded down (while being rotated) to match the diameter of the iron head. That produces a dull sanded look in that area vs the polished look of the rest of the ferrule. Using a rag wetted down with acetone an swiped over the sanded area, brings back the polished look. That stuff is powerful. Even thou it has that ability to eliminate a sanded or scrubbed look, it also can (in affect) melt or dissolve plastic if to much is used, or the swiping action is to slow. If you can get you hands on a used piece of the same type of plastic, you could make some test runs to see if it might work for restoring your glove box area. Might be overkill here however.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Might be worth a test on an inconspicuous area:

Quick exposure to flame from a lighter. It'll melt the little fuzzies and they'll resume primary material coloring and shrink to a little bitty nub.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I have some very minor scratches on the plastic glove box and on the lower interior door panels. Scratches might be a misnomer, more like a scuff. There are very small amounts of plastic that is slightly fuzzy on the edge of the scratch.

Has anyone found a way to remove this 'fuzz'?
Get the glove box covered in either leather/vinyl or Alcantara. All come in different colors.

Alcantara circled in red in the WM Statesman:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

EDIT: Fixed images.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be worth a test on an inconspicuous area:

Quick exposure to flame from a lighter. It'll melt the little fuzzies and they'll resume primary material coloring and shrink to a little bitty nub.
I tried the lighter flame today on my scratches. It actually helped. The scratch is still there, but the fuzzies are gone.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts