Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Misc questions...

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Jova007200 
#1 ·
Ok guys, has anyone else had the headliner fail? If so, ball park price on replacing it? I seem to have developed a squeak in the clutch pedal, anyone else? And lastly, my stepson was looking at the car, are our hood scoops really functional?? I've had this car since 2011 and never noticed...
Thanks all

#4 ·
Hood scoops are not functional at all from the factory. There is a way to make them "somewhat functional", but all it really does is get your engine compartment really dirty if you drive in the rain or dust.

#7 ·
My headliner has been slowly coming loose at the edge that butts up to the rear window. I've been using head liner pins to fasten it back in place along that edge. They don't show from most angles.
No clutch pedal squeak here.
Agree'd with the answers about the hood scoops. They're just cosmetic.

#9 ·
The glue hasn't failed. It's the foam that connects the glued side with the fabric side that has failed.

Regluing it will keep it up but you're essentially putting off the inevitable.

#10 ·
I've used 3m super 77 multipurpose adhesive. Used it on old one before dealer broke the third brake light and had to replace. Recently had to do a couple of spots right at the oh shut handles in the rear. Noticed other day that the corners on rear window where starting to come down.
Whatever that foam is made of they didn't do a very good quality check for it. Stuff just deteriorates from heat and time.

Shove a piece of newspaper between window and headliner for over spray. Rub excess dried out foam off board and spray a layer down. Let it sit per instructions. Press together. Holds up well. Just don't get it on fingers then touch liner. It will leave spots.

I use this stuff all the time its something any guy that works on his own car and house can use.

Attachments

#11 ·
Was cleaning glass this morning. Found corner had started to peel. Gave it a quick shot of 3m and pressed back up.
Did the one by ohshyt handle few months ago. Still holding together. Didn't do that clean of a job there. The nozzle had a clog and over shot.
My first headliner didn't peel this bad for 7 years. It got replaced due to dealer breaking third brake light mounts. It has come apart at several spots.

Attachments

#12 ·
Mine fell, glued for a while in the back, it came down again. Took it in to have it redone. Fabric didn't take.... Have to have someone do it again.

.... I don't think they had the right fabric. I should have paid a little more for them to acquire the right style fabric that I wanted that wouldn't separate from the foam in key spots. Now I gotta take it to another shop... and getting it out multiple times has taken its toll (not broken, but fragile).

So, when you get it done..... make sure you're DAMN sure about the person who is doing it. If it is a forum or Facebook group recommendation, don't let that convince you that it is anything other than it's another place to go to for a quote.

If you don't follow that advice, you'll risk doing it more than once like me. The first shop messed it up once and fixed with fabric that I really didn't like (which started coming down on its own a few months later). Now, I am cutting my losses there and going to another shop when I get around to it.

I'm considering wasting money on a new headliner, doing this one myself and if I ruin it pay someone else to recover the new one in a fabric that I like (an unbastardized headliner). If I don't ruin it, cover the new one in the same fabric, put it in the car, and sell the old one to someone local who wants a recovered headliner.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.