Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're back at it again with a completely different issue! Started the car up the other morning and it was running rough, I let it warm itself up and put the code reader to it and it was giving me misfires on 1, 3, and 5. The only time I can even tell is at idle sitting still with the car in drive, none of the characteristics of the car while driving like acceleration, sound, etc. The CEL even cleared itself, but I can still feel a ghost of the shaking when I'm at idle and sitting still.

I changed the spark plugs and coils 11,000 miles ago with matching NGK coils and Iridium spark plugs, haven't checked fuses as I'm unaware of exactly which ones to check, and the only other code I've got is the intermittent P0391, Exhaust camshaft sensor bank 2 performance, so I don't believe they're related as I've had this code for months now with no other signs.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need to check, and how to figure out what's causing this.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I know your on top of this, but you talk about the 1-3-5 misfire incident>>>> (bank 1 passenger side)) an the P0391>>>> (bank 2 drivers side) Tough to think that they are related in any way. But I wonder if the cam actuators for the passenger side started to slew the cams a bunch, I suppose the power efficiency for the 1-3-5 cylinders would/could fall off. The ECM might detect this as a miss fire condition, if the drivers side cams are being driven at a different open/close setting vs the passenger side. Hope it makes some since. Course, all of these words an thoughts might be incorrect.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Would presume the misfires are a symptom of something directly feeding those three odd ignition coils such as a bad/improper ground, vacuum leak, or a malfunctioning fuse/relay. The fuse is number F35 located in the engine compartment fuse block. Relays are likelier to function intermittently as the inner contacts wear down. Typically, a fuse either works or doesn't work and could be worthwhile to ensure it is properly seated.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Would think a malfunctioning oxygen sensor produces a separate set of codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts