Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, before you point me in the direction of the search feature, which btw is an amazing tool, let me explain my situation. First, this is NOT a drone issue with AFM. I say this because I just spent the last two hours reading about drone issues and sound deadening. My car has it tuned out. Now, with that being said, I would like to lessen the in-cabin noise I have with my SLP Loudmouth Axleback. I do love the exhaust note and sound of the SLP. However, there is a significant increase in interior exhaust noise. Of course this is probably contributed to the fact I have Kooks LT's, Kooks X-pipe to the SLP's. But, I would like to know if anyone has reduced the in-cabin noise with MLV or some other type of sound deadening etc? If you have. What did you use? How much did you use? Lastly, how much did it cost? I don't want to change exhaust, though I know I will probably have to put stock mufflers back in when it comes inspection time. I merely only want to keep the exhaust noise on the outside, so I can hold a conversation on the inside. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I matted half the trunk mostly towards the back seat and the underside of the deck lid. it really cut down on cabin noise
What did you use Joe? MLV, CCF? Yeah I agree I have already stuffed an old thick blanket in the spare tire well. Helped some, but not enough.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I actually was thinking to try a bed liner coating (Rhino liner, etc) on the underside of the car at the rear. Figured it would fight rust and help cut down on cabin noise.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I used damplifier thru second audio... nice stuff and doesnt smell.... it worked real good but i removed some of it due to the weight... this stuff adheres great and works pretty good... i have never used anything else so i can compare to other stuff...

good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used sound deadener (stinger I think) under the back seat base and back. This helped some. Rear deck is next. I have been thinking of using an old bed crate foam and glue on the under side of the spare tire cover/ trunk floor. I have the Pontiac trunk tray/liner, but thinking a good carpeted fitted mat in the trunk might help too and look good. Also was thinking of taking the mufflers off and adding some sound deadener from the bottom. Don't really want to add much more weight.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
i did the roof all the doors rear sears and the whole trunk, deck lid with dynamat/fatmat.
also used mlv.
it did add quite a bit of weight tho.
roof was a must the noise when it rains was annoying.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i really think the spare tire well is like a bass drum.

^^ This is correct.

Here is what I did for in cabin noise reduction (not drone) and in the following order:

1) laid down MLV 1/4" layer from soundproofcow over the entire trunk bed

RESULTS: about 10% reduction, maybe?

2) adhered single layer of dynamat xtreme to trunk decking (not behind rear seats)

RESULTS: negligible

3) adhered single layer of dynamat xtreme to the bottom (not the sides) of the spare tire well

RESULTS: maybe a 25% reduction in noise?, much more noticeable results

I would like to play around with adding additional layers/coating of the spare tire well & look into CCV layer under the MLV.

Any other suggestions, I would be interested in.

I gotta subscribe to this thread because I was thinking about starting one like this anyhow! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
^^ This is correct.

3) adhered single layer of dynamat xtreme to the bottom (not the sides) of the spare tire well

RESULTS: maybe a 25% reduction in noise?, much more noticeable results
I have to try this.. I have some Dynamat left over from my doors.

BTW.. I did all 4 doors when I replaced the speakers.. I thought it did some good, also helped the speakers. Eventually I'd like to do behind the rear seat back.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I was gonna give spray on rubberized under coat a try on the spare tire well inside and out and the whole trunk floor inside and out just haven't had a chance to do it yet. It helps deaden sound and is like $7 a can.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was gonna give spray on rubberized under coat a try on the spare tire well inside and out and the whole trunk floor inside and out just haven't had a chance to do it yet. It helps deaden sound and is like $7 a can.
This would be so much more convenient if it looked decent.

Dynamatting the spare well is a pain because of all the ridges.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
jackalope, that sounds like an idea too. You figure the end result can't weigh any more than the cans do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking of going the route of a spray on type, I found one called Boom Mat, Google it. Then I was going to do a layer of MLV. I don't want to do too much and put tons of weight in the back.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
jackalope, that sounds like an idea too. You figure the end result can't weigh any more than the cans do.
How could it? If the can weights 12oz then I don't see how the stuff you'd spray out onto the car could weigh any more.

As for the smell the last time I used the stuff I don't remember their being much of one its just VERY messy until it dries.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts