Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent my week off last week with the old girl in the garage. Everything from wheel color change to Paint and sealant with some Adam's stuff.

I even started a project of prepping my newly acquired Camaro Brembos for the winter storage install.

And yes, i know I'm missing a decal. I smurfed it all up and am waiting for a new one in the mail.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Looks good sir

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Looking good! Adam's has some awesome products. I just got done doing mine a couple of weeks back.

It is nice to see such a clean looking IOM. A very rare sight.

·
every village has one
2,168 Posts
Looks good!
I know all about the f'd up decal thing:)

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That reminds me... I gotta do this to mine! :D

Looks sharp.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. It was a chore. This was my second go around at completely correcting the paint. The previous owner was great at keeping her mechanically sound, but wasn't too concerned about keeping the paint nice. It's taken a bit of work, and some frustration, but i'm happy with it. She isn't show quality, but it'll do for daily warmer weather duties.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hmm, that comment makes me feel good about the prospects of paint correction for my car. :D

Thanks for sharing.

·
F1rehawk
747 Posts
Really nice looking setup, classic and simple. That product really is amazing. I'll get some when I'm finished with my Meguiars. Paint looks like brand new!

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Did you use the Rinsless Wash/H2O Guard and Gloss combo? Best thing going!

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
I haven't. Maybe I'm just old, but the thought of waterless washes makes my skin crawl. How do you not rub all the grit into the paint?
You don’t rub:grin2:
If you have big stuff on the car, hit it with a pressure washer first. Proper technique and lots of towels prevent scratching.
I love the stuff. Makes washing the car in the garage in the winter possible.
Watch Adams video about it. I use the multiple towel method.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have any "before" pics around just for comparison? Off the top of your head can you recall approximately how many hours you put in to get that result? The finish looks amazing, you did an excellent job!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Depending on the condition of your paint, you can easily spend 4 -10 hours on the whole process. Remove old wax, clay bar, paint correction, paint polish, seal, wax, glaze. I will doing both of our G8s over the Thanksgiving holidays.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any "before" pics around just for comparison? Off the top of your head can you recall approximately how many hours you put in to get that result? The finish looks amazing, you did an excellent job!
It took me a good 10-12 hours. But i like taking my time. It's zen for me. I dont have any before of this car. But I did my wife's car a little while back with the same products.

And thanks. I've enjoyed paint correcting and waxing as a hobby for years now. Mechanical work is great too. But that's a different feeling than getting a painted panel just right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for those, looks like the same impressive result. Do you do all the final buffing/rubbing by hand or do you use a power buffer? If so, what brand and how would you rate the ease of use?
How does the consumption of large amounts of Turkey affect the finish? LOL! Hope you, your family and cars have a great Thanksgiving weekend!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for those, looks like the same impressive result. Do you do all the final buffing/rubbing by hand or do you use a power buffer? If so, what brand and how would you rate the ease of use?
How does the consumption of large amounts of Turkey affect the finish? LOL! Hope you, your family and cars have a great Thanksgiving weekend!
Buffing by hand is a quick way to get arthritis. I use a Flex polisher for everything but the final buttery wax application.

https://www.autogeek.net/flex-car-polishers.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAl8rQBRDrARIsAEW_To-ZySvtBiaMY3yL5ZhyOBNi9xWZ9NpkWYMv6JG5iKBllWWDowuDRoAaAgOvEALw_wcB

It fairly easy, but doesn't have built in damage control like some polishers.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah, a flex definitely isn't idiot-proof. You need to be somewhat careful with those. If you're not too experienced, pick up a porter cable or the newer one Adam's carries in place of the porter cable. I am sure there are others that are cheaper out there, but those 2 are what comes to mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Adam?s makes some awesome products. In between washes now that you have it polished, their h2o guard is a must as well. Not as needed when you get to that level but in between waxes it helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts