Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to some folks at the GTG this weekend, I'm realizing that I may be SOL trying to smog my car in CA after just having moved from KS. The only stock parts I still have in my garage are the airbox and mufflers.

Open to ideas...

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
First of all, take it in and find out just how close you are and where the "fail" problems are.
Then post up and get some input.

·
The Mustang dude
1,351 Posts
First of all, take it in and find out just how close you are and where the "fail" problems are.
Then post up and get some input.
His car wont pass visual inspection... so it doesnt even matter how far off the readings are. He needs to find a "guy" from some of the locals. Ask Yeti... he'll know someone I'm sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sell your car and start over?
Ummm...thanks?

His car wont pass visual inspection... so it doesnt even matter how far off the readings are. He needs to find a "guy" from some of the locals. Ask Yeti... he'll know someone I'm sure.
^This. yeah...am hoping someone local knows "a guy"

In the meantime, I'll keep checking some of the local salvage for the manifolds, cats and mid-muffler - see if I can talk them into selling before they core/destroy... or maybe someone on the board has their stockers laying around

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
In the meantime, I'll keep checking some of the local salvage for the manifolds, cats and mid-muffler - see if I can talk them into selling before they core/destroy... or maybe someone on the board has their stockers laying around
I have all of my stock parts (air box, manifolds, cats, exhaust, mufflers, etc.) if you need them to swap on/off for SMOG.

-Todd...

PS - Great meeting you this past weekend, it was fun... sorry again about the detour :banghead:

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
I forgot all about the visual....but you're right about the "guy". It might even post the same specs as a Prius.
Here in Michigan, if it starts you can plate and drive it.
Not the best thing in the world when you see all the crap rolling around.

·
The Mustang dude
1,351 Posts
Ummm...thanks?

^This. yeah...am hoping someone local knows "a guy"

Most dismantlers or anyone for that matter can't resell cats. You'll have to rely on the kindness of locals to get a set of stock pipes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm only about 30 minutes North on hwy 70 and I'll soon have the GXP axlebacks off of my car (replacing with SOLOs that arrived today.) Not sure if that would help you get through inspection but I'm willing to help out if needed.

Also, let me know if there are any meet-ups in our area since the only G8's I see normally are the U2 chase cars and a few other military members at Beale AFB. I expect to be here until retirement and probably beyond so it would be nice to meet up with a few other G8 owners in the area!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll soon have the GXP axlebacks off ...Not sure if that would help...
Thanks, but it's really the cats that are the big issue. They have to have the OE stamp/CARB number or some other BS and be in the stock location. If I don't hear back from Ike on "a guy" who can help, I might have to take Todd up on his offer

Also, let me know if there are any meet-ups in our area since the only G8's I see normally are the U2 chase cars and a few other military members at Beale AFB. I expect to be here until retirement and probably beyond so it would be nice to meet up with a few other G8 owners in the area!
I'm always up for a weekend cruise or to connect with other enthusiasts. Check out the GTGs listed in the norcal-lsx and the norcal goats forums. There's also some cars & coffee-like events around Nor-Cal (Euro Sunday is coming up on 4/27 in Sac)...

·
The Mustang dude
1,351 Posts
Thanks, but it's really the cats that are the big issue. They have to have the OE stamp/CARB number or some other BS and be in the stock location. If I don't hear back from Ike on "a guy" who can help, I might have to take Todd up on his offer

I'm always up for a weekend cruise or to connect with other enthusiasts. Check out the GTGs listed in the norcal-lsx and the norcal goats forums. There's also some cars & coffee-like events around Nor-Cal (Euro Sunday is coming up on 4/27 in Sac)...
Do you have a smog notice in hand yet? If so does it say that you need a "STAR" smog check?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a smog notice in hand yet? If so does it say that you need a "STAR" smog check?
No...I'm just planning for the worst. I out of state vehicles transferring their registration need to be smogged (according to the DMV website). I thought after Jan 1, 2013, even if your notice said you needed a Gold Shield or Test Only, you still had to take it to a STAR station...

I guess I could just take it in and see what happens...seems like a waste of $, though.

·
The Mustang dude
1,351 Posts
No...I'm just planning for the worst. I out of state vehicles transferring their registration need to be smogged (according to the DMV website). I thought after Jan 1, 2013, even if your notice said you needed a Gold Shield or Test Only, you still had to take it to a STAR station...

I guess I could just take it in and see what happens...seems like a waste of $, though.
I think they are moving to all STAR certified shops now. Thats part of the reason I asked. The other part is because I know of a guy that I use for my Mustangs but Im all the way down in So Cal and if it indeed needs a STAR test, the car would need to be brought down here and thats probably a deal breaker for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
5litrarag where are you located in So Cal? I'm in San Diego. The only thing holding me back from putting on long tubes is the smog issue. If I had a "guy" I would put them on ASAP!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they are moving to all STAR certified shops now. Thats part of the reason I asked. The other part is because I know of a guy that I use for my Mustangs but Im all the way down in So Cal and if it indeed needs a STAR test, the car would need to be brought down here and thats probably a deal breaker for you.
In some respects, I'd almost rather road trip it that far than swap parts off and back on... It's almost a wash for me at this point. I think there's one or two guys a little closer to NorCal that may be able to help...I'm trying to get connected with them.

I'll keep it in mind, though!

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
in a similar boat here in norcal. want to get some LTH but not wanting to swap parts on and off everytime i smog... yeti or dblaron might have a guy for you.

·
The Mustang dude
1,351 Posts
5litrarag where are you located in So Cal? I'm in San Diego. The only thing holding me back from putting on long tubes is the smog issue. If I had a "guy" I would put them on ASAP!
Im near La Verne/Pomona area. About a mile from the raceway.
Smog shop is over in the San Fernando Valley though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looking for that friendly shop

Im near La Verne/Pomona area. About a mile from the raceway.
Smog shop is over in the San Fernando Valley though.
I'm in the valley and just flunked visual inspection, wondering about that shop you mentioned. This is my first year SMOGing my G8 so this came as a bit of a surprise when my CAI immediately flunked. I'll swap it back, unless your shop is easier. I live in Studio City.

·
The Mustang dude
1,351 Posts
I'm in the valley and just flunked visual inspection, wondering about that shop you mentioned. This is my first year SMOGing my G8 so this came as a bit of a surprise when my CAI immediately flunked. I'll swap it back, unless your shop is easier. I live in Studio City.
If you're just running a CAI, id say to just swap that out. It will be easier and WAY cheaper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just was failed because of the visual inspection. The comment was that the CAI put the MAS in a non stock location. They didn't like the catch can either. At least I had the stock parts and 1 1/2 hours to re-install the parts, and then go back to pass the test.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts