Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the cam install I now have trans slipping in 1st & 2nd gears. Third seems to hold. It drives fine under 3k rpm, if you get on it above 4-4500 it slips, it seems to grip & then slip but once it hits 5-5500 it will slip up to the shift point. Just had the fluid changed & checked it tonight (was fine), reloaded the tranny tune but no help. The tranny was fine before the cam install & has about 300 miles on it since the cam install, 60,000 on the tranny. Any ideas what this could be? Wifes gonna be bent if I have to rebuild the tranny now!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after talking with some people in the know, I've come to the conclusion that I may need more fluid. Anyone else have to add more than full to get the tranny to hold 1st & 2nd? I was told that sometimes an addition 2-1/2 quarts from full is needed.? I tried 1 extra quart but didn't do the trick, put another quote in tonight but I can't try it out for a couple of days becuase of the snow storm we're getting today(Iowa). I think that I'm reaching for a simple fix but I hope they're right!

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Was all of the tranny fluid drained from the lines also? That also accounts for volume when adding fluid, not just what sits in the pan.

I found on my other car that the tranny was slipping on 1 to 2nd shift and checked my fluid and it was low. Idiots at Jiffy Lube didin't fill it all the way. When I added more, the issue was gone.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know how much fluid should be added when dropping the pan & changing the filter?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No kidding! I've had nothing but bad luck here lately. I'm about to the point to just drop a new trans in and trade it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I'm about done with my cam swap, I know I'm gonna have to replace the oil pan gasket but I'll get to that once I put a couple hundred miles on it. Its not leaking bad, and I don't feel like changing the oil again. I would recommend dropping the trans pan and get a new filter and flush the fluid. Your post have gotten me paranoid!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had that done & the slipping got worse! I can only hope that I was a little low before & even more so now. I added my 2nd quart over full today but will have to wait a couple of days since we're having a snow storm last night & today. I went from burning up tires to the tranny in 200 miles. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. What's a guy to do, kinda stuck now!

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
How are you checking fluid level?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car in the air running, trans @ 32-34 degrees C. Take out the bolt in the bottom of the pan, if oil comes out assumed full.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My old oil was not burnt & no solids floating around. My trans was fine before the cam install. I've been told that some G8's take up to 2 quarts over full otherwise it will slip. Somebody from Century today & they said it's probably in the tune. He also stated that some G8's benefit from upgrading to a camaro pan & filter, I guess under heavy acceleration the G8's filter can't pickup the fluid. I ordered the pan, gasket & filter from Pace today. Hopefully get rid of this snow in the next couple of days & get the new trans stuff on by Friday. This has turned into one after the next!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts