Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up another 2009 Pontiac G8 GT the motor has approximately 180,000+ miles on it and it's making lifter noise and sounds like it's on borrowed time. I'm considering replacing it with a great LS3 I'm open to suggestions.

The Icing on the cake is yesterday morning my trailblazer SS started a rod knock.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A lifter noise is hardly what I'd consider a reason to replace an entire engine.

Are you having a shop do the work? If so, maybe quote upgrading and refreshing the L76 as you want it versus installing a new LS3.

Honestly, I prefer the refresh and DOD Delete/Cam work because you get more power and upgrading the LS3 with a cam will just add additional cost.

The LS3 will have a lot of potential for gains just like the 6.0, but honestly how much money do you want to spend? :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on doing the work myself.
I was gonna drop in the LS3 in then send the old cylinder heads intake and throttlebody to Rick Crawford

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could also use the L76 bottom end in the trailblazer

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I guess, but you're acquiring an LS3 as a cost of repairing the trailblazer with the L76 parts... :D

You really want that LS3 don't ya? hehehe

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd also vote for a cam/dod delete. Seems a little wasteful to replace a perfectly good motor. Compression test it maybe?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh, and just a side note... if you do decide to go the refresh route, be sure that you don't ignore the rockers. Get new ones. Stock rockers are just fine, but not with 180K on them for an upgraded cam.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I need to pull both the motors and see what I'm working with.
If I'm going to be pulling the G8 heads anyways I may as well have them worked over by Rick.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess, but you're acquiring an LS3 as a cost of repairing the trailblazer with the L76 parts... :D

You really want that LS3 don't ya? hehehe
Yes way to rain on my parade jk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Read my posts, had an original l76 with slight, slight lifter noise at 190k. Decided to wait. At 222k had a catstrophic lifter failure. Lifter wheel came apart after rotatin in the tray. Crank was scored.

Looking at it now IDK what was better.

I should have torn it down and done a Dod delete at first noise. It would have cost me 2500-3000 and would have gotten another 100-200 out of block.

By waiting I got another 32k out of it and a new GM ls3 installed and tuned for $6500

New coil packs, everything, and much more power. Wish I had done the rebuild, but I am very happy where I am at now.

Trick is I bought the motor from radley GM (Amazon seller). I called their actual dealer last September and asked them to honor their old price from the summer $5850 delivered freight. And they did, -and sent me a special link for purchase price!!!!!

Install price was $1800 including Chevy SS 93 tune and GXP rad hoses, but I got a $1000 credit from installer for letting him keep the L76, so it only cost me $800 labor

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Send me a link to a $5850 LS3 please!

Read my posts, had an original l76 with slight, slight lifter noise at 190k. Decided to wait. At 222k had a catstrophic lifter failure. Lifter wheel came apart after rotatin in the tray. Crank was scored.

Looking at it now IDK what was better.

I should have torn it down and done a Dod delete at first noise. It would have cost me 2500-3000 and would have gotten another 100-200 out of block.

By waiting I got another 32k out of it and a new GM ls3 installed and tuned for $6500

New coil packs, everything, and much more power. Wish I had done the rebuild, but I am very happy where I am at now.

Trick is I bought the motor from radley GM (Amazon seller). I called their actual dealer last September and asked them to honor their old price from the summer $5850 delivered freight. And they did, -and sent me a special link for purchase price!!!!!

Install price was $1800 including Chevy SS 93 tune and GXP rad hoses, but I got a $1000 credit from installer for letting him keep the L76, so it only cost me $800 labor

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are pulling the motor. A mach shop can do a refresh for around 900 bucks. Thats hone cylinders, new rings, all new bearings through the whole motor. Add 2k to that and you can do forged pistions, forged rods, and arp everything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reference the rockers are you just saying replace upgrade the needle bearings ?
Oh, and just a side note... if you do decide to go the refresh route, be sure that you don't ignore the rockers. Get new ones. Stock rockers are just fine, but not with 180K on them for an upgraded cam.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to replace all the bearings in the motor and the rings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts