Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently hydroplaned and went off the road. Anyways, I ended up bending 3 rims so I got those fixed, put new tires on all 3, replaced the rear struts, and got it aligned. After getting it aligned I noticed that there is a vibration in my seat and steering wheel above 65 mph and the car starts "floating" over the road at around 75 mph. Does anyone know the possible cause of this? Could the driver's front wheel be bent as well? I didn't bother getting that one checked because the tire still held air. Could it be the front struts? If anyone has an idea please let me know! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Where did the initial impact occur? Wheel could have very well been bent and/or the vehicle sustained some sort of steering or suspension damage. Were all four wheels balanced? The impact could have caused a wheel weight to fall off. Worn struts can make a vehicle feel floaty.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If the impact wrecked 1 or more of the ball joints, it would do this. Or if one if the upper/lower controls arms could be slightly bent.

I did my front lower control arms because the ball joints were worn out. It was scary at higher speeds when crossing lanes on the free way. Each lane is slightly crowned because of traffic and going across 2-3 lanes at high speeds was eerie as get out

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Start with the read out of the alignment. Let’s see if the specs are right. Now does the front or the rear feel floaty?

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Alignment

Attachments

·
every village has one
2,295 Posts
If you went off hard enough to bend 3 rims, you may be looking at other issues.....

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The 3 biggest causes for the mushy/floating feeling are the stock strut mounts. Stock dexcool filler radius arm bushings and the rear subframe bushings. So poly or Polyelast strut mounts. Mevotech arms have a more solid rubber bushing that improves steering feel and fresh greaseable ball joints. For less that the price of poly bushings. Rear poly subframe inserts are not expensive either. These along with PPV struts and shocks will tighten up everything. As long as you haven’t missed any damages.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts