Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 G8GT is too quiet. I would like it to have a bit of growl, but not be obnoxious. I also like the appearance of the stock tips.
Has anyone removed the muffler just aft of the transmission, welded in an x pipe and left stock axle-back mufflers?
Would I get any sound improvement at all at idle or WOT?
Please advise.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Yes, sounded good but had just a bit of drone, which may not bother you.
Then used Magnaflow 12468, sounded good but not as loud as X pipe, but no drone.
Currently, OBX full system, sounds grrrr8! :)

·
-
120 Posts
You could also try replacing the factory muffler you're referring to, with an aftermarket small-case muffler with internal X-pipe. Should be louder and also control the drone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have mid-muffler delete w/x-pipe added along with Solo axle-backs. No drone, low rumble, great tone at WOT.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I did the Lawson x pipe and a poor man's SLP axle back with dual 3.5" tips and it sounded okay. I just went back to a magnaflow mid muffler cause my long tube headers are going on soon. No cats, no mufflers gonna be loud.

·
Registered
469 Posts
From what I have read, X-pipe may introduce rasp into your tone, so be mindful of that.

H-pipe will balance and give a little bit louder over stock, but will rumble more than rasp.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My 2009 G8GT is too quiet. I would like it to have a bit of growl, but not be obnoxious. I also like the appearance of the stock tips.
Has anyone removed the muffler just aft of the transmission, welded in an x pipe and left stock axle-back mufflers?
Would I get any sound improvement at all at idle or WOT?
Please advise.
Done that, will be a big disappointment. As others have said add solo axle backs. Will give it the sound that it should have from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts