Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got back from getting some new rubber on the rims and I decided I'd stop by my local muffler shop. This is what we decided to do.

Check it out and let me know what you guys think!

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Sounds pretty good. wonder how much drone you will have. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to get on it soooooo bad but yeah that cop was there and it was a 25mph road haha. The drone isn't really there unless I'm at 70-75 on the highway, other than those speeds it's an awesome sound, not bad at all inside either!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody have an idea on whether or not ill see and hp gain? I feel something, but that might just be my lead foot to hear the exhaust haha.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I love the x pipe, how much did that run? Did they make it for you custom?
Sounds great but I bet you will have major drone. You can always go back and have them weld j pipes to kill the drone (that's what solo axlebacks are)

·
Registered
225 Posts
It was nice for the Police to be there to greet you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did the exact same thing minus the X pipe to both my GTO and G8 like the day after I got them. Makes the car sound a lot better and is far less expensive then cat back systems. Not going to lie but under most driving conditions it sounds like a truck with exhaust. But WOT sounds nasty. Most owners don't like the sound and get a cat back or axle back systems. I personally just save that money and go the cheap route as most would say. Less then a month later I got LTs (cat less) on both. My 06 GTO with resonator/muffler delete compared to my G8 same exhaust setup was a lot louder and way more aggressive. When I put LTs (cat less) on the GTO and hooked it up to the exhaust it was so loud I couldn't even get above 2k RPMs when driving, and I love loud exhaust. So I got some magnaflows welded on. I hated the sound. When I put the same brand Pacesetter LT's (cat less) on the G8 and bolt it up to the exhaust it was very reasonable, considering WOT is obviously very loud. Drone on the G8 LTs no cats and straight piped is bad. But I can drive it around town somewhat unnoticed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I left the resonators on, and surprisingly I don't have a loud drone other than between 70 and 75. Not gonna lie, it gets loud in 1st and 2nd but the noise just goes away inside in 3rd. However i was told its still just as loud outside, so not sure whats going on there. And yeah the guy made a custom x pipe for me, bent it to flow right with the exhaust. Cost 180 for everything. Stock headers as well. And yeah the police was a warm welcome when all I wanted to do was open it up. Haha. Next mod is a CAI with a tune!!! Any suggestions there would be appreciated!

·
Registered
273 Posts
My bad. I left my resonators on mid muffler and rear mufflers removed. resonators are straight through anyways. But when my G8 had your same setup I think that was perfect. Not loud even at idle. Stock I was embarrassed when my car was all engine noise. Ill be getting custom made 3inch collector back with an X pipe. X pipe gives it that nicer exotic roar. True duals and H pipe have a deeper roar. X pipes will cause a loss in low end torque but will make more high end HP. H pipes and true duals do opposite more low end torque. If your gonna get a CAI/tune might as well spend another $500 on LTs. If you wanna go that route. I Personally have always used K&N CAI systems and never had a complaint. They have OTR CAI that claim crazy gains. Dyno tune or plug and play?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the guy who did my exhaust offered to dyno tune or plug and tune as long as he gets another video! So im just now starting to do some research on here about my options. As far as my CAI I was in between the k&n and just building my own with some nice rust free tubing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You said you got this done at a local muffler shop. They don't have dyno's at your local muffler shop. Explain a little more about your conversation. You can make your own depends on what you have to spend. Everyone will have different opinion. I would just buy one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i did this same thing last week magna flow x pipe buy i went with pypes axle back and have no drone really yours sounds alittle deeper then mine but like it very much

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not a muffler only shop... he specializes in exhaust but does everything car related. And yes, he has a dyno.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
stombaugh25
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing