Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Build Thread Headers + Cam Install

So last month I did a bunch of upgrades to the G8. Found out the car already has a catch can and a rotofab intake installed.
It got
FE3 Suspension
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
DBA ClubSpec T3 Rotors With Hawk Pads. Still waiting on the rears but I got the front ones installed.
OBX headers & X pipe back to a solo axle back system with 12'' DynoMax bullet mufflers welded in. Sounds amazing in my book.
Tuning by Pat G via Efi Autocal
Took it to the track with the first tune he sent and a half tank of gas and went
60 ft 1.979
330 5.468
1/4 12.913
Mph 106.91
These passes were with stock mufflers as well.
I ran the a cortex tuner on the car for about 2 weeks, and its crazy how much better the first tune pat sent me is compared to the superchips tuner. The trans shifts smooth and still chirps the tires no problem. I took a couple pictures during install and a short video of the exhaust.

·
Registered
209 Posts
nice.. coming together great. What goals have you set for yourself? (i know mine was: presentable at a car show, 12.0's on street tires, retain all long distance traveling capabilities like AC, cruise, good stereo, ride, comfort, etc)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goal"s not sure yet. I'd like to go 12.5"s on drag radials. I think it's not to far off with my curent set up. This is my wife's daily driver so I have to be careful how far I push it. I"d like to do a cam converter and flow my heads by the end of the year. Pretty much trying to match Yetti"s build.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Goal"s not sure yet. I'd like to go 12.5"s on drag radials. I think it's not to far off with my curent set up. This is my wife's daily driver so I have to be careful how far I push it. I"d like to do a cam converter and flow my heads by the end of the year. Pretty much trying to match Yetti"s build.

Gotcha.. Long tubes. LS3 cam DOD delete, 12.50's all day long. call it a day lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing a dod delete Cam that Pat G spec'd out for me.
My cam specs are 224/228 .629''/.629'' 112 LSA +2 doing .040 head gaskets. Dual Springs From Brian Tooley. I got my dod delete kit from Texas Speed. The car is torn down, the cam will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I will get it all back together this weekend. This motor has some sharp edges. My hands are all cut up. My buddy had to over see the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I didn't research it enough but my dod delete kit didnt come with a 3 bolt cam gear. Guess I'm stuck until I can order one tomorrow.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the car buttoned up. Went a little crazy with the torque wrench and broke a intake bolt off in the head. Luckly I got it out with a center punch. Car sounds pretty mean. I need to get it on a lift and check the trans fluid. Didn't realize there was no dipstick until I wanted to check it. I'll get some videos up later today. Time for sleep work in 5hrs will come quick.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nothing like the sound of a cammed car! Lokar makes dipstick for the trans. It's on my list of things to get. Looking forward to hearing it. You should be able to run better than 12.5s now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went 12.5 first pass. 1.996 60ft. My balancer is coming loose. Not sure if I'm gonna run again or not.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Was that 12.5 on street tires? If so, how is it hooking off idle. Mine wouldn't barely spin off idle with my cam. Still running stock heads and gaskets though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep street tires at like 37psi. I rolled into it and it left fine but I 1.996 60ft which is horrible. When it shifted into second it spun pretty bad. I didn't touch the heads other than valve springs.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I noticed on your first post you have OBX headers and in the youtube cam videos you have Kooks LT's, why the change?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed on your first post you have OBX headers and in the youtube cam videos you have Kooks LT's, why the change?
I wasn't thinking that day. I still have the OBX stuff. I just ordered a set of kooks cat's because the exhaust smell is pretty bad with the off road pipes. I also bought a Circle D Stall. I got the Pro Series Stage II 258mm 2800-3000 stall. So hopefully in the next week or so I'll get that installed. This thing need's to go 11.99's

·
Registered
805 Posts
How is the tune coming along and the downshifts?

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
You get this monster on the dyno yet?

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.