Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Also it makes sense the heatshield facing the rear cause its next to the exhaust... derp.

·
Registered
151 Posts
View attachment 184383

Progress. Tired. Need sleep.
That is looking good, I was amazed how quick and easy it was to get everything put back together. Do yourself a favor and make sure the Bank 1 Head ground is in good shape and retaped. Mine broke loose somehow after putting everything back together. I had a blast doing my build, now I know it's possible to do without someone helping as well. Still waiting on catch can and CTSV Brembos.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
For me, the mechanical engine work is vitamins for the soul.

With this experience, replacing the cam to compliment the blower install will take 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's definitely going smooth but one thing I would do differently is actually separate and label bolts. Spent alot of time just mixing and matching and measuring bolts figuring out where they go lol. I couldn't find the alternator bolts and eventually found them mixed in with the old head bolts.

LT's will be here on Monday. How far should I go for reassembly to make the headers go in as easy as possible?

What's left:

Attach flexplate to torque converter
Tighten crank damper
Tighten some bellhousing bolts (left my tools at work)
Clean intake manifold, change injector o-rings
Figure out wiring harness routing
Locate and install dipstick (actually not sure where it is, lol)
Install flex fuel sensor
I think the rest is just nuts and bolts.aside from putting the rockers on the heads and installing them.

And that's just to get it running enough to get the exhaust and tune done.

And then time for mad skids, mate.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used dixie cups/labels for my bolts. I ended up buying new ARP head and header bolts anyways. New valley cover came with bolts.

More room for header install if rockers and valve covers aren't on yet, at least for me with a big torque wrench. I wouldn't put plugs in until after as well, don't have to worry about breaking any. Of course you don't want to do plugs until after rockers are torqued down. You can always go ahead and install intake and front of motor components.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have been using qt ziploc bags and label.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I did cam installs in the past I would take cardboard and stencil with a sharpie the shape of the part removed. Punched a hole and put the correspinding bolt in the cardboard so I knew location and which bolt went where. Spending time to organize saves so much needless time on the back end looking for that one missing bolt.

Now if I could figure out why I have 4 separate 10mm wrenches I would be in business :confused:

As for tq wrench on headers, I just go from center of header outwards, and check them after a week. I could never get a tq wrench under the fbody cowl/picnic table.

-J

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When I did cam installs in the past I would take cardboard and stencil with a sharpie the shape of the part removed. Punched a hole and put the correspinding bolt in the cardboard so I knew location and which bolt went where. Spending time to organize saves so much needless time on the back end looking for that one missing bolt.

Now if I could figure out why I have 4 separate 10mm wrenches I would be in business :confused:

As for tq wrench on headers, I just go from center of header outwards, and check them after a week. I could never get a tq wrench under the fbody cowl/picnic table.

-J
Ah you're one of those guys I always make fun for doing all that extra work at the beginning and end up eating my words during reassembly haha.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Wife thought I was nuts saving the plastic containers from take out Chinese food and coffee cans. A shoe box is still best for poking pushrods though to keep them in order

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wife thought I was nuts saving the plastic containers from take out Chinese food and coffee cans. A shoe box is still best for poking pushrods though to keep them in order
That's understandable, the only thing I marked was the pistons and I started marking main caps until I realized they were number stamped. I'm replacing pushrods so no need for a shoebox there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
20210429_025134.jpg
Guys I discovered a very easy way to install the damper without having to put a screwdriver in the flexplate or anything crazy like that. Listen... all you gotta do is...

Mount the flex plate the wrong way. Nothing spins. Ever.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Or hit it with an impact several times like I did. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Merely making the day a little longer. Good to see things progressing as the built takes shape. What's the status on securing a set of headers?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Merely making the day a little longer. Good to see things progressing as the built takes shape. What's the status on securing a set of headers?
Headers will be here on Monday. Definitely not easy to locate but g8only had 2 or 3 sets on hand.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yet another speed bump. Once more clarifying, I'm an idiot.

Installed the heads last night, organized my remaining parts a bit and found a brand spanking new pack of BTR lifter tray bolts. Ordered some new ARP headbolts. Super facepalm. I gotta stop working on the car for 6 hours straight after I get home from work.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about lefter tray bolts. They must the the least stressed bolt in the entire engine. Or did you not install any in the trays?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I didn't install any. 😕

My first thought was to Google it to see if they really "that" important. Yep....

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Yes the bolt just hold the tray down. If it rose up the lifters would rotate and Boom. If you used ARP head bolts? They are not TTY. You can re-use them.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts