Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes the bolt just hold the tray down. If it rose up the lifters would rotate and Boom. If you used ARP head bolts? They are not TTY. You can re-use them.
Unfortunately I selected the factory style bolts when I ordered my cam because I thought, yeah these heads are never coming off, I'll just save a few bucks and skip the ARP ones for now. Ha.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Ya that’s a karma kick in the nuts. Now you can get good bolts for a bit less. Earl’s sells with less mark up
Found part HBS-002ERL for $117 on eBay

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unfortunately I selected the factory style bolts when I ordered my cam because I thought, yeah these heads are never coming off, I'll just save a few bucks and skip the ARP ones for now. Ha.
I had the heads off a 3rd time before I decided maybe i should buy the good bolts.

Haven't had them off since, lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
TTY bolts came with my DOD kit but I went ahead and bought ARP ones as well. The easier torque sequence and being reusable made more sense.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Are you going to fire it up once open headers? Have to record it.

Reactions: lastcall190

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Actually it’s a Male Law.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I finished my rebuild at about 11pm. Of course I had to start it up (Kooks LTs and Solo 3" Mach exhaust) as there was no way I was waiting until after work the next day. Needless to say, the neighbor walked over the next day and said "got the car running again, huh?" Apparently he didn't sleep through the sustained RPM of engine break in.

Reactions: GT Drew

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I finished my rebuild at about 11pm. Of course I had to start it up (Kooks LTs and Solo 3" Mach exhaust) as there was no way I was waiting until after work the next day. Needless to say, the neighbor walked over the next day and said "got the car running again, huh?" Apparently he didn't sleep through the sustained RPM of engine break in.
That's hilarious. I get off work around midnight so that means I'd probably be starting it up between 3 or 4am. I also have 3 neighbors who are police officers. Also, the first start up will be open headers. I'm sure my entire neighborhood would love me for that lol.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Progress!
20210508_013724.jpg

Unfortunately I removed the injector o rings (somewhat... aggressively) only to find that the ones I ordered were incorrect. So fuel rail is waiting until tomorrow.

I need a shallow 12 point socket to torque the headers because I only have a deep 12 point and it's too big for some spaces.

Power steering lines were routed incorrectly and hopefully I'll be able to remove them and make them fit where they're supposed to go.

Still gotta torque the front crank pulley, gotta get a socket from work (or just buy one)

Then I gotta figure out the evap mess. The DOD valley cover gas a port in the front, do I just plug that line? I believe I got a cap with the DOD kit from BTR. Also there's a short hose that I think is intended for PCV but I'm not sure where it goes.

20210508_015145.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Progress!
View attachment 184456

Unfortunately I removed the injector o rings (somewhat... aggressively) only to find that the ones I ordered were incorrect. So fuel rail is waiting until tomorrow.

I need a shallow 12 point socket to torque the headers because I only have a deep 12 point and it's too big for some spaces.

Power steering lines were routed incorrectly and hopefully I'll be able to remove them and make them fit where they're supposed to go.

Still gotta torque the front crank pulley, gotta get a socket from work (or just buy one)

Then I gotta figure out the evap mess. The DOD valley cover gas a port in the front, do I just plug that line? I believe I got a cap with the DOD kit from BTR. Also there's a short hose that I think is intended for PCV but I'm not sure where it goes.

View attachment 184457
Your valley cover is the LS3 one with the PCV port on the front? I would cap that and run your lines as before into the valve covers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Your valley cover is the LS3 one with the PCV port on the front? I would cap that and run your lines as before into the valve covers.
Yeah I think it's the LS3 valley cover, in other pics with the engine on the stand, the port is plugged with a red cap.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts