Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for a little more sound out of my exhaust, I don't really have the spare coin to spend on Solos, so I found these stainless straight pipes on the bay. These are the results...

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Do you want me to be honest or lie ? Lol.

Don't be offended. Everyone likes a different type of sound. If you dig it, then cool. Just not my style.

Happy modding!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By all means, please be honest, I wish more people were! Like I said, just an experiment. I'm sure you know videos never do justice, but I actually liked the sound on cold start. It had a pretty nice growl to it, but it's just way too loud, especially since I live in a small neighborhood and leave for work around 5am... But the drone inside is teeth-rattling unbearable, so they're coming off today and I'm saving for Solos.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I actually don't think it sounds half bad for a 6'er. Instead of saving for an entire solo axleback, just order their J-pipes and take them to a local exhaust shop you trust to weld them to the muffler delete pipes you already purchased.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Personally never been happy with the sound of any exhaust on any V6 with the exception of some of the old Buick 3.8L's.
Face it those extra two cylinders make all the difference if your looking for "that" rumble, so my V6 is still stock exhaust.
Kudo's to those who try something new.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
It sounds like a Honda Civic going through puberty.

I'd try adding a set of mufflers to try and lower the frequency a bit. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually don't think it sounds half bad for a 6'er. Instead of saving for an entire solo axleback, just order their J-pipes and take them to a local exhaust shop you trust to weld them to the muffler delete pipes you already purchased.
I was actually very surprised when I heard the first cold start, it really has some [email protected] to it. I was originally looking at Solo's GT axle backs specifically for the J pipes, even though they're not targeted to the V6 drone, but Steve from Solo said they wouldn't fit. The other ones I looked at were from VE Online, but don't ship to the U.S.

Personally never been happy with the sound of any exhaust on any V6 with the exception of some of the old Buick 3.8L's.
Face it those extra two cylinders make all the difference if your looking for "that" rumble, so my V6 is still stock exhaust.
Kudo's to those who try something new.
Yea it seems to be pretty difficult to find a good one, especially with this motor. All the best ones I've heard come from Australia and I'm not donating a kidney for exhaust money... Thanks for the kudos!:thumbsup:

It sounds like a Honda Civic going through puberty.
I'd try adding a set of mufflers to try and lower the frequency a bit. Just my .02
Haha! That's what I was trying to avoid, I want this lion to eat rice! Spare change is always welcome, is it actually possible to build a muffler around the pipe?

Don't spend any money on exhaust. Spend money on a junkyard 5.3 and a eBay turbo.
That's my ultimate goal, just a bit bigger than a 5.3 though...

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
I've heard a lot worse V6s. If it weren't for the drone I'd say keep it. I like all kinds of motors, from the Toyota 22RE 4 banger motor in old pickups to the BMW S65 4.0 V8 in the M3, so there aren't too many engines I will talk **** about. Except for SOHC Civic motors. They can all burn.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As a V6 owner,Curious did you keep the resonator or did you eliminate them?I picked up the same stainless steel pipe from ebay they are GREAT QUALITY 304 STAINLESS STEEL,my stetup is STAINLESS X-PIPE INTO STAINLESS MID-PIPES INTO RESONATORS THEN OUT TO STRAIGHT PIPE.I'm pleased with this setup had to go the less expensive route.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
^^^^Owner up here went with the same set up, but is unhappy with drone and/or rasp plus at WOT its a cop magnet it is so loud.
He's talked about welding some small mufflers in the straight pipe to tame it down.
I've seen a Solo set up for V6's on eBay, has a much smaller muffler than stock.
It was $8-900 CAD plus shipping if I remember correctly.
That's a lot of money to send especially if you are unsure or may not like the results....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6.8 and 2 turbos?
And a flux capacitor! I would start with a 6.0 or 6.2 and build from there. Unless I hit the lottery it won't happen anytime soon.

As a V6 owner,Curious did you keep the resonator or did you eliminate them?I picked up the same stainless steel pipe from ebay they are GREAT QUALITY 304 STAINLESS STEEL,my stetup is STAINLESS X-PIPE INTO STAINLESS MID-PIPES INTO RESONATORS THEN OUT TO STRAIGHT PIPE.I'm pleased with this setup had to go the less expensive route.
Nope, the mid muff and resonators are gone and replaced with an X. And yes, the pipes really are great quality, I'm definitely going to hang on to them and see what can be done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting... a little raspy for me though. It's kind of amazing how strange the LY7 is when it comes to exhaust notes, even with the exact same setup no two ever sound the same. What different setups have you had? Any drone with the current one?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the Solos about two months ago, here are a couple vids. I like the sound outside, but I still have the dreaded drone inside. I just pulled them and boxed them back up and I'll be selling them and the straight pipes and saving up for the full Solo catback. LTUNA I'm a bit jealous you grabbed that one that was just for sale! When you get it all setup we have to meet up again, I need to hear it in person!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nope, the mid muff and resonators are gone and replaced with an X. And yes, the pipes really are great quality, I'm definitely going to hang on to them and see what can be done.[/QUOTE]

If you are looking to just tone it down a bit and get rid of the drone, then I'd cut in and weld some straight tube aftermarket resonators. There are tons of options out there for on the cheap and you will see a much better sound and depth as well.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxFlow-JXS0445-Performance-Muffler-Resonator/dp/B01C63YQE4/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523486627&sr=1-16&keywords=resonator+muffler+2.25

Good luck, and hope you get what you are after.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bowlgod, I'm going a different route though, I'm selling both sets and going for a catback. The struggle continues...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Creature;As soon as I get them installed will let you know and we will meet up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts