Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So being the complete track noob that I am, I decided to take my car up to GLD on Wednesday night. Ran 7 or 8 times, my best run was my first run.

On the first run I basically let go of the brake and mashed the go pedal. The rest of them I was trying to give it various levels of gas ahead of time, though that mostly resulted in assorted wheel spin and/or wheel hop drama.

Anyways, I intend to go back again, and I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm still running my original Potenzas, which are around 5 years old at this point, and left them at stock PSI. I'm assuming I should lower that? What's a good place to be? 30-35 PSI?

2. Should I even bother trying to raise my RPM before launch? Or does this mainly depend on how much grip or lack there of I'm getting?

I am planning on getting a staggered setup this year with probably some Pilot Super Sports in a 275 for the rear, hopefully that will result in better grip.

Hints or tips appreciated!

Here's the slip:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That's a pretty good run for first time on streets.

Don't expect Pilot SS to have great straight-line traction. Turns yes, straight line...not so much. Too low tire pressure (under 30) doesn't seem to help much on streets.

A _little_ gas is probably ok at your power level, but roll on the gas with a bit of gentleness, don't stab the pedal.

Are you stock ?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Put the car in sport mode, traction control on, floor the gas and power brake the car it'll rev to about 1500 to 1800 rpm. When the light turns green release the brake the gas is already floored so you'll take off. After you leave the line you turn the traction control off then when the car shifts into 3rd gear you tap the shifter backward to put the car in manual mode so it'll hold 3rd thru the traps. This is the proven best way to run doen the 1/4 mile. It takes a little practice to get all the timing down right but once you do its well worth it. Good luck and I hope this helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you stock ?
Currently I have a CAI and a 93 octane Vector tune.

I have some long tube headers sitting in the garage that I want to install this weekend.

Yeah, I think the first time I eased into the gas vs. trying to jump on it on my later tries, I'll try a few more passes doing that again next time I'm there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put the car in sport mode, traction control on, floor the gas and power brake the car it'll rev to about 1500 to 1800 rpm. When the light turns green release the brake the gas is already floored so you'll take off.
Huh, wouldn't have thought to try with traction control on, I'll give this a shot as well next time I'm there. So the TC will keep the revs at the right spot?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Leave the TC off. Period.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
The traction control keeps the cars RPM's at between 1500 to 1800 and does not let the car spin its tires as you sit at the line waiting for the light to turn green. This is what I did every run I made and I was cutting .370 RT's and my car was running consistant 12.7-12.8 all night long. I tried the leaving the traction control off as Camo and others have advised and it just spins when I leave the line. TC on and I was damn close to breaking 2.0 60' times with Conti DWS tires out back. But with it off my 60' times dropped to a 2.80. I turn it back off just before the shift into 2nd. 8 tenths faster in the 60' is HUGE! Maybe if I had some drag radials I'd turn it off all together but my times speak for themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.