Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I needed a instrument cluster replacement and I bought one in a salvage yard. Took the car and new working cluster to the dealer to program it to the car and the dealer called back and said that they plugged the cluster in and it’s locked. What does that mean? Dealer wants to charge $204 to send it out to be unlocked and another $96 to be reprogrammed. Any idea on why a cluster is locked and options to unlock it for cheaper?

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Each instrument cluster is vehicle identification number locked to the current vehicle and must be reprogrammed. Additional information, Swapping Instrument Clusters...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Each instrument cluster is vehicle identification number locked to the current vehicle and must be reprogrammed. Additional information, Swapping Instrument Clusters...
Thank you, I appreciate the help. Dealer also said that the cluster needed to be “zero’d” out when unlocking it, would that mean that I won’t be able to retain the mileage on my original cluster?

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Am presuming zero'd out references clearing the information on the replacement cluster. At this juncture, suggest contacting Chris at white automotive and media services for further information. Wonder if plugging in an improperly programmed cluster could trigger tamper warning flags? Get in touch with him or perchance someone can deny or confirm the notion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I put a used cluster in my car (other cluster went black) it was a simple operation for the dealer to reprogram it (about 1/2 hour total) but they were not able to reset my mileage to the actual mileage. I'm in Canada. Nobody I called who rebuilds clusters in Canada could reset the mileage for me so I have to live with it being wrong.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I hope the dealer knew that there are 2 steps of programming modules, first you have to use the SET UP program which installs the new vin into the module and establishes communication between them, then you have to program a 2nd step which puts all the info for that vin into the module via GM, if they did that 2 steps and no joy, just send it to Techni-Car where all the dealers send them.https://techni-car.com/products-gm.html

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not sure if you are addressing his comments or mine. My cluster works perfect, just shows the wrong mileage. I am in Canada and nobody is able to reset the mileage apparently.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm not sure if you are addressing his comments or mine. My cluster works perfect, just shows the wrong mileage. I am in Canada and nobody is able to reset the mileage apparently.
Sorry i was trying to help him, but your situation is strange as when you set the cluster up first, it needs the vin added first so it matches and talks to the other modules enabling the mileage stored in the bcm to transfer to the new cluster unless they used a vci style and added wrong info

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seemed odd to me that the GM authorized cluster repair center for Canada told me they couldn't do it. They sent us lots of exchange clusters from a variety other vehicles for our dealership but for this one they told me they had no way to do it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
call Techni-car from my link above and see what they say, that is very strange

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm learning to live with the wrong mileage. I have a copy of the work order in the glove box stating roughly what the mileage was on the old cluster and replacement cluster when the swap was done. (It had been black for a while so I don't know the exact mileage.) Also, our ownership document has a place on it to declare the mileage showing is not correct, so if and when I sell the car I'll sign that declaration. That way nobody can pull anything funny because it puts a "brand" on the car that the mileage is wrong.

I'm not too keen on having to remove the cluster again and sending it away for a few weeks to be reprogrammed. I can't be without my car that long.

·
Registered
621 Posts
When i did all those clusters for all those GM trucks etc., they had the mileage already embedded in the odometers from my work orders into the new clusters, someone gave them or put the wrong amount into it. I believe they do an exchange program, they send a cluster and then you can send the old one back, but you already payed for one, so i would believe they messed up

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put one in from a wreck though, not a rebuilt one. I had no success finding anyone in Canada who rebuilds them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah that will do what you are experiencing, as when we order a cluster, they put the mileage in for obvious reasons, they stopped the techs from doing so around late 90s. Also modules are not swappable for 09 to 09.5 G8s because of different operating systems except for bluetooth modules, indicated by vins starting at 300xxx are 09.5s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts