Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to start off.
I bought the G8 about a month ago. After one week my check engine light popped on. I drove straight to the dealer, but at 2pm they said it was too late to check it. I made an apt for the following morning and drove home. I pulled out my code reader and found the code to be P0455, the gas cap code! I checked to make sure the cap was tight and cleared the code. I did not go to the dealer the following morning for the apt, i figured all was good. The light did not turn back one.... until yesterday.

I drove straight back to the dealer who once again was too busy to look at my car at 12pm and said to make an apt. I decided to order a gas cap while i was there. The cap would be delivered this morning at 8am. After i got home i started searching the forums about the faulty gas cap and MAN did i find alot of info. I called the dealership about the extended warranty and they looked up my vin to check for the bulletin. They found it. They said to bring the car in at 8am and they would check the light and if it was P0455 they would change the cap free of charge( i would be reimbursed for ordering the cap).

Well, i went into the dealer this morning and after a hour of waiting and a few cups of coffee i received a new cap and a refund.

If anyone is interested this was at Winter Chevy in Pittsburg Ca. They now know about the problem and are willing to fix it. They ordered the newest revised cap #92251462. I scanned the work order, it has the special policy number typed on it #10283

Hope this helps anyone else with the issue.

·
1,481 Posts
I checked to make sure the cap was tight and cleared the code. I did not go to the dealer the following morning for the apt, i figured all was good. The light did not turn back one.... until yesterday.
The OBD purge routine that verifies EVAP vacuum/system integrity only runs after a cold start (coolant temp w/in ~10 deg of ambient) and when/if other conditions are met such as fuel level between 12 - 88%, a min engine run time req is met, etc.

This is why 'gas cap codes' and other EVAP faults can be tricky and seem intermittent. But a good tech/shop knows this and can run a proper EVAP system diagnostic with or without an active fault. Just because you clear a fault or install a new part doesn't mean a problem has been addressed...in this case it seems you've got it fixed quick & easy though...that's good.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...in this case it seems you've got it fixed quick & easy though...that's good.
I sure hope so. Only time will tell i guess. I will keep updating this thread, wish me luck.:driving:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ok, to start off.
I bought the G8 about a month ago. After one week my check engine light popped on. I drove straight to the dealer, but at 2pm they said it was too late to check it. I made an apt for the following morning and drove home. I pulled out my code reader and found the code to be P0455, the gas cap code! I checked to make sure the cap was tight and cleared the code. I did not go to the dealer the following morning for the apt, i figured all was good. The light did not turn back one.... until yesterday.

I drove straight back to the dealer who once again was too busy to look at my car at 12pm and said to make an apt. I decided to order a gas cap while i was there. The cap would be delivered this morning at 8am. After i got home i started searching the forums about the faulty gas cap and MAN did i find alot of info. I called the dealership about the extended warranty and they looked up my vin to check for the bulletin. They found it. They said to bring the car in at 8am and they would check the light and if it was P0455 they would change the cap free of charge( i would be reimbursed for ordering the cap).

Well, i went into the dealer this morning and after a hour of waiting and a few cups of coffee i received a new cap and a refund.

If anyone is interested this was at Winter Chevy in Pittsburg Ca. They now know about the problem and are willing to fix it. They ordered the newest revised cap #92251462. I scanned the work order, it has the special policy number typed on it #10283

I am glad you have had a great experience at Winter Chevrolet. Would you like me to forward a compliment to them?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Ok, to start off.

Glad to hear that this turned out to be a good experience for you.
I'm also glad you were able to find the info you needed from here.

Thank you for passing this along in an effort to help someone else out.

If I haven't said it already, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Mine went off and when I took it to the dealer they told me I'd have to PAY to get to evap system checked and smoke tested cause they don't "just put on a gas cap" or "listen to a random TSB" in their words. I can't remember exactly how much hey wanted but I know it was over $150 so I opted to order the $12.00 gas cap and hope for the best. Problem solved.

Man I wish to God I could find a decent dealer here in MD to service my GM cars! $90,000 worth of GM products sitting at my house and I can't get any damn service for them!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've had the gas cap CEL go off twice. I have to make sure to hold the cap down and tighten it a bit and that has been working well.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine went off and when I took it to the dealer they told me I'd have to PAY to get to evap system checked and smoke tested cause they don't "just put on a gas cap" or "listen to a random TSB" in their words. I can't remember exactly how much hey wanted but I know it was over $150 so I opted to order the $12.00 gas cap and hope for the best. Problem solved.

Man I wish to God I could find a decent dealer here in MD to service my GM cars! $90,000 worth of GM products sitting at my house and I can't get any damn service for them!

Wow. Just wow. That is rediculous. It's dealers like that give GM a bad rap.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Your fault for living in the asscrack of Maryland. ;)

·
1,481 Posts
Too bad man...you could use my EELD/EVAP pressure machine if you were close...sucks - quick and easy to use...

But I'm pretty sure GM's on the hook for emissions-related equipment for 7 yrs per Fed law though, and a P0455 (and/or of the same family for small/moderate/etc leaks) concerns the evaporative emissions system.

Michelle - can you clarify on this or am I imagining the 7yr req on emission equip?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I get this quite a bit...so much in fact, that as soon as I get the CEL, I no longer get that little moment of dread run through me...I just tighten the cap and wait for it to cycle through to clear the code. Tried to get the gas cap at me dealer, but typical GM BS. I may just order that gas cap (didn't realize it was only $12) and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I get this quite a bit...so much in fact, that as soon as I get the CEL, I no longer get that little moment of dread run through me...I just tighten the cap and wait for it to cycle through to clear the code.

Same here! I tend to throw the gas cap CEL when the temps change drastically cold to hot, hot to cold.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get this quite a bit...so much in fact, that as soon as I get the CEL, I no longer get that little moment of dread run through me...I just tighten the cap and wait for it to cycle through to clear the code. Tried to get the gas cap at me dealer, but typical GM BS. I may just order that gas cap (didn't realize it was only $12) and be done with it.
At my dealer it was $20, worth it to me not to have the CEL, even better not to have to pay for it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am glad you have had a great experience at Winter Chevrolet. Would you like me to forward a compliment to them?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

They told him they were too busy to help twice before he took action on his own to get results and that is considered a great experience???

I took my G8 to Tinney Automotive in Greenville, MI for the same issue last week. I pulled in Tuesday at 11:00 AM, they had it diagnosed by 11:20 and had a new gas cap waiting for me by noon the next day. I had it installed within minutes and all I had to do was sign my name before heading off as a satisfied customer. That is what I would consider great service. And if you want to pass along a compliment to Art and Marc, please feel free to do so!

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I'm throwing code PO449 now...EVAP Emission Vent Valve Malfunction. Could this be the "gas cap" issue as well?

I am getting this code as well now all of the sudden. I just installed a new gas cap, cleared the code and it came right back so I guess there is something else wrong in the EVAP system.. SUX....

I'm researching this now looking for other possible parts that could have failed....

Any ideas from anyone here is appreciated before I resort to getting raped by the dealer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am getting this code as well now all of the sudden. I just installed a new gas cap, cleared the code and it came right back so I guess there is something else wrong in the EVAP system.. SUX....

I'm researching this now looking for other possible parts that could have failed....

Any ideas from anyone here is appreciated before I resort to getting raped by the dealer.
I had this code this winter. P0449 is not the gas cap, it's the EVAP vent solenoid. It comes as part of the EVAP canister, so to replace it you have to drop the rear cradle and get to the top of the fuel tank. Fortunately I was still under warranty at the time so I got it replaced for free. Here's my invoice from that adventure, it has the part number for the new canister:

·
Registered
373 Posts
ACDELCO Part # 2142149 {#10382105, 15750484, 2141078, 2141097, 25932571} Vent Solenoid Category: Vapor Canister Purge Valve

IIRC from the truck forums that $15 part will work so that you do not need to replace the entire canister assembly as long as the canister's integrity has not been compromised.

JAM

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
25 Participants
GMCustomerService
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing