Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped my pump today due to nothing coming out of the nozzles. I had checked the lines for a blockage while I was waiting for Santa Claus to make the pump. Then I started thinking it was a weak pump. It wasn't a weak pump, it was a clogged pump. Not sure what the guys who owned the car before me used but it must have been sewer water or something. Tank had a slime in that I don't ever want to see or smell again. I made sure to run about 20000 gallons of water through the tank before installing the pump to try to flush it out.

The pump would make a surging sound when I ran it. Hopefully this saves you guys some time in the future.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It smelled like rotten eggs combined with fecal matter. It was terrible. I gagged several times, thought I was going to hurl.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Wow, that is nasty.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have taken a shower and still feel like I can smell that nasty stuff.

I guess the one good thing out of this is that I now know how to take the front bumper cover off. :rolleyes:

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Well, at least you got that out of the whole mess!! That does look pretty disgusting....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Same thing clogged the washer in my wife's XL7. It was a slimy disgusting goo. Pump was fine otherwise.

·
Tin Indian
440 Posts
That's just nassssssssty.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Revival ... my nozzles are squirting at a low rate. Pulled off the clips on the wiper arms and there's no blockage (water is just coming out of the hose portions weak).

Where exactly is the washer pump and did you need to remove the rad at all or just the bumper?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thx

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Prior to most likely having to replace the pump, you could disconnect the tubing at that point where it first reaches the firewall area. A test at that location would verify just how bad (weak) that pump is.
Seeing where the tank and pump are located, I remember seeing the tank/pump thing is exposed with the front fascia dropped down. I would think that is way easier than going thru the motions of removing the radiator (as the service manual says to do), and maybe still have a tough time gaining access to the tank/pump location.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to take the front fascia off and the lower plastic isolator that covers the underside of the front end/radiator. The pump is located on the lower passenger side of the reservoir facing the engine. It's a pain to remove. I had some sort of contamination so I flushed out the tank with a ton of water before fitting the new pump and putting it back together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have pictures of images from the user manual as to how to replace the pump? The dealer wants to charge me $700 to replace it. The pump and grommet are only $40. I'm on a fixed income and can't afford $700 to replace the pump and can't justify spending that amount for something I rarely use.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
The windshield washer fill neck is on the drivers side, but the pump is on the passenger side. The washer fluid reservoir is a pretty good sized rectangle black tank that goes from full left to right forward of the condenser. I looked thru the lower plastic fascia grill an can see the bottom of the pump mounted to the tank at its far right side (passenger side). The problem is, its mounted to the aft facing side of the tank (in the gap between it an the condenser). I'm thinking, that IF you were to remove the large air dam (aft of the fascia, it may allow you to actually have a good shot at looking right up at it, allowing you to pull the pump an its washer out of the tank for replacement with a new pump an washer.

Added info >>>>> Just noticed my car also has another plastic panel above the air dam. it looks like it's there to create an improved ram airflow zone to the front of the condenser an radiator.

·
Registered
258 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts