Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 789 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always thought that the G8 should have come with paddle shifters of some sort. With the help of prrii i was able to copy his work and make a test board to make the car shift up and down with the push of a external button. He has mounted a set of paddles to the steering column and has been successfully using them for a little while now.

I was always interested in putting a button/paddle on the wheel itself to do the shifting, the way corvettes and the camaro come. I went to the dealership for the gas cap issue and was looking at a camaro in the show room and noticed the buttons that the use behind the steering wheel to shift. The parts room helped me track down the part numbers and i was able to find a set online.

All done. Works great. I ended up disconnecting the leds in the steering wheel to utilize that wire in the clock spring. Like many have said, it looks like the onstar buttons are all tied into the bcm so it is not a easy wire to "steal". I can deal with no lighted buttons. Here is some pics.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL, USING THE WRONG WIRE FRIES THE BCM!!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT PLEASE CONTACT ME FIRST. I am more than happy to help you guys.

Center console. You gently pry around the outside of the trim, there are a bunch of snap in fasteners that hold it down. I use a small flat blade screw driver, a butter knife also works, work your way around a little at a time to get all the clips to lift.

Then unplug the (2) harness connectors under the window switches followed by the (2) connectors under the traction control/seat heater buttons. Set the trim to the side.
Remove the shift knob- First, remove the shifter button by inserting a small flat screw driver at the top of the button and pry gently. The button should pop out. Now you can get a phillips screw driver inside the knob to remove 1 screw. That allows you to remove the rest of the trim on the shifter. Next remove the trim with the gear indicator, (4) phillips screw.
Now you need to remove the black and white plastic pieces around the shifter rod. There are some leds pluged into these that illuminate the gear indicator. You turn them 1/4 to the left and the come out. There are very difficult to reach but i have been succesfull with a pair of needle nose pliers. Pull up the foam around the shifter and you should see the wiring underneath.

This is the wire that you need to tap into blue w/ white stripe, it sends a voltage signal to the bcm.

Steering wheel removal. Pull the - battery terminal and the air bag fuse. Turn the wheel 90* either right or left. Pull the steering column top trim. Insert a medium sized flat screw driver into the hole in the back of the steering wheel. This is alittle tricky but you need to twist and pry gently on the retainer inside the wheel that holds the air bag in. When you manipulate the retainer correctly that side of the air bag will pop out slightly towards you. Rotate the steering wheel 180* to access the other hole in the back of the steering wheel and repeat to release the other retainer. Keep your hand near the airbag as you do so just in case it decides to pop out.

Now disconnect the wiring on the back side of the air bag. 2 color coded plugs and a ground.

Unplug the connector at the bottom of the wheel. There is a tab at the top of the connector that you can release with a small screw driver and the plug comes out. This is the plug ( NOT the top plug, leave that one alone)

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Do show process with every thing we need..............Good Luck........

·
Registered
864 Posts
Great Job...

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Grab a friend and have him/her help you hold the steering wheel from rotating while you remove the t50 bolt that holds the wheel on.

Pull the steering wheel off, feeding the wiring through the hole in the wheel as you go.

DON'T MOVE THE CLOCK SPRING! You can cause a problem if you do. Leave it where it is, mine was at the 12oclock position, left it there and all was ok.

Obviously the back of the GT Sport steering wheel

Re-assembled

Wires from each switch poking through

Wire like colors together and tail out 1 wire from each. One to ground and the other to stolen led wire. (Purple in steering wheel harness)

Re install the wheel and plug the harness back in. Tap the black wire and cut the purple. Cap of the side of the purple wire that goes down. The side that goes up you need to connect to. It does not matter which of the shifter wires goes to ground or purple. It will work either way.

2 different pictures of the same thing. 2 different cars, i used 2 different style of connectors both work just fine.

This is the back side of the clock spring. You need to cut the purple wire and run a new wire from it, down to your shifter where you tap into the signal wire from picture #1 /\ This is the TOP of the steering column, there is no need to remove the bottom cover, just the top, it lifts off easily.

Put all the covers back on install air bag, airbag fuse and reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice work, looks clean and factory. Are shifts similar to manumatic shifter in terms of feel?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it doest exactly what the shifter does when you push up or down. The buttons send the same signal to the bcm as the shifter does.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can you make some videos of them in action? and when are the pad shifter operational, do they only activate when you shift into manumatic mode? You did a great job it really does not look very difficult, or so it seems.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you make some videos of them in action? and when are the pad shifter operational, do they only activate when you shift into manumatic mode? You did a great job it really does not look very difficult, or so it seems.
I can take a video if you don't believe me........ Lol. The buttons only work in manumatic/sport mode. I just bump the shifter over and then use the buttons. The install wasn't too difficult, I used my air die grinder to cut the holes. I was a little nervous but everything went just fine. You have to be able to solder the new resistors in the buttons. A 680 ohm and a 220 ohm both 1/4 watt, nothing bigger will fit in the button.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
GM PN# please

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
92225254, 92225253

You only end up using 2 of the wires on the 92225254. You could use (2) 92225253 if you want. 92225254 is a 3 wire, 92225253 is a 2 wire.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very impressive!

-Todd...
Can you try that again? This time blindfolded and use voice commands only to shift. NIce work!
Thanks guys. This is how i think they should have come from the factory. I cant wait to take it into some twistys and really give them a go around. I also need to get a tune to get the trans acting right.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Awesome work, great work in making it look oem

·
lsgearhead
2,116 Posts
Man your car is so quiet, nice job. You could build those and sell them. Just pick up some steering wheels and let people send theirs back in for cores. Put together a kit and start shipping. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man your car is so quiet, nice job. You could build those and sell them. Just pick up some steering wheels and let people send theirs back in for cores. Put together a kit and start shipping. Very cool.
Haha, yea, my car is silent. It's all stock for now. The biggest issue with doing someone's steering wheel would be all the differences in wheels, v6, gt, gt premium, gxp. It would be a pain. And who wants to send off their steering wheel for a week+?

That being said, if there is anyone local that would like to do this mod feel free to drop me a pm. I would be more than willing to help someone do it. Just order the switches and I have everything else to make it happen.(resistors, wire, tools ect)

1 - 20 of 789 Posts