Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as many of you know I recently went to the OBX exhaust system so I can use the stock mufflers and have a silent but deadly beast. Well every now and then you need to have a loud beast of a car too for the those fun track days.

Here is my creation. Yes it drones, but who cares:gr_jest:

Dynomax Bullet mufflers and my old Solo Tips

We used my old hacked solo exhaust rear axles back and two flanges to make the new setup...

The first startup with my cell phone recording...

And here is a Video of semi cold start with my DSLR which I used to record my stock muffler setup for comparisons sake... Frankly the camera does not capture how deep the tone is, and how impossible awesome it sounds. It just overpowers the camera mic :thumbsup:

Drive by. Sorry no WOT, just a spirited little burst...

So at idle it is no louder than my old Solo exhaust used to be IMO. It is much louder over 3000rpm though. Not straight pipe loud, but loud none the less. There is no rasp which is awesome, but there is drone at 1700-1900 rpms. That make your ear drums pop drone. Anything out of that RPM range though is fine though. This setup is only for the track, or the occasional car meet. It is pretty easy to stay out of the drone range as I have a stall and with the paddle shifters you can just shift to a lower gear. Stock mufflers are going to be on the car 95% of the time so this was just for fun.

*EDIT* Actually after listening to another cold start it is loud as hell at startup haha. Crazy deep in tone.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
That is just nasty awesome. You're right though, not very raspy at all which is nice. Your plate doesn't match up very well with those mufflers on hahaha.
I wouldn't mind having a setup like this to play around with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
583 Posts
wowww, sounds amazing Yeti! This makes me want a cam so bad!

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay guys you are not going to believe this but...

...I remote started the car from inside my house for a true cold start tonight and it resonates so deeply I could feel the idle of the car through the hard wood floor in my living room.

Me and my friend stood directly behind the car and you could feel it resonating through the concrete. I swear to Gawd it shakes the concrete on idle...

I can't wait to track this car now lol

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I gotta ask.....if you had a Solo axle back why not just run that if you wanted a little sound? My exhaust setup is 1 7/8 Kooks lt headers, no cats, factory midpipe and Solo axle backs and it sounds awesome! Now true my car couldn't hope to be as bad ass as yours is but I would think the Solo axle backs would have sounded killer on it!

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gotta ask.....if you had a Solo axle back why not just run that if you wanted a little sound? My exhaust setup is 1 7/8 Kooks lt headers, no cats, factory midpipe and Solo axle backs and it sounds awesome! Now true my car couldn't hope to be as bad ass as yours is but I would think the Solo axle backs would have sounded killer on it!
Well I was looking for a different kind of sound. Also the Solo Axle backs that come with their catback systems don't fit at the stock location where the OBX is so I would have had to cut and add a bend and a flange anyway. Lastly my OBX system would be completely mufflerless if I went with a Solo type axle back and I didn't want it to be that loud nor have any rasp. I wanted an ultra deep tone, and something different than any other G8 out there.

I still may fit a J-pipe on, but straight pipe on later, but like I said I was looking to make a different type of sound. It is all for ****s and giggles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you have a sound clip of your setup with the stock mufflers? Curious just how quiet it can be compared to stock g8 with stock mufflers.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Whoa Yeti, that's sick! I have heard alot of exhaust clips and have heard a dozen or so combinations in person and this is definitely one of the scariest sounding ones yet! That last video of you getting it is just mean. I had seen the SLP hand cannon style mufflers advertised on Maryland Speeds website but have never seen anyone on here talk about them.

Question, do these cannon style mufflers serve as a modern style of glass packs? Your roar reminds me of my old 96 Silverado with the 350 in it. I had a Magnaflow catback with glass packs and it would shake plates in my parents kitchen on start up when I was in HS.

·
Fort Worth, TX
170 Posts
I had Solos on my car with an ARH setup and it was unholy loud and raspy. I experimented back and forth and ended up with what sounds good. I added Dynomax 12" bullet mufflers to my Solos. Just cut out a section of pipe and weld them in with the J pipe in place.

Deep rumble at most speeds, no drone on the highway, and still pretty damn loud at WOT.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Okay guys you are not going to believe this but...

...I remote started the car from inside my house for a true cold start tonight and it resonates so deeply I could feel the idle of the car through the hard wood floor in my living room.

Me and my friend stood directly behind the car and you could feel it resonating through the concrete. I swear to Gawd it shakes the concrete on idle...

I can't wait to track this car now lol
Dude, if your exhaust is resonating through concrete... your neighbor's trinkets and picture frames are definitely shaking like a Diamondback Rattlesnake lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Aw man that sounds nasty! I love it

·
Registered
141 Posts
y would u switch from the slp awesome tips to meh blaa tips lol
Not everyone makes a mess in their pants over the SLP tips. I had them on my car for awhile and I still prefer the stock-look more. The SLP tips are very nice, but not unanimously nice.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have a sound clip of your setup with the stock mufflers? Curious just how quiet it can be compared to stock g8 with stock mufflers.

here are the stock muffs...It is crazy quiet with the stock mufflers. At freeway speeds it sounds absolutely stock until I get on it!

SOUND CLIPS...

Cold Start...

Trust me this exhaust is super tame. Listen to this little drive by video. You can hear the intake but no exhaust when I rev it from the front of the car...

And finally a warm idle and rev. I was surprised at how loud it was at WOT, but at all other times it is deathly silent. Sleeper G8...

Whoa Yeti, that's sick! I have heard alot of exhaust clips and have heard a dozen or so combinations in person and this is definitely one of the scariest sounding ones yet! That last video of you getting it is just mean. I had seen the SLP hand cannon style mufflers advertised on Maryland Speeds website but have never seen anyone on here talk about them.

Question, do these cannon style mufflers serve as a modern style of glass packs? Your roar reminds me of my old 96 Silverado with the 350 in it. I had a Magnaflow catback with glass packs and it would shake plates in my parents kitchen on start up when I was in HS.
These bullet muffs do have a fiber glass packing so I guess they are glasspacks technically. I love how they sound when I get on it. Down right fierce!

I had Solos on my car with an ARH setup and it was unholy loud and raspy. I experimented back and forth and ended up with what sounds good. I added Dynomax 12" bullet mufflers to my Solos. Just cut out a section of pipe and weld them in with the J pipe in place.

Deep rumble at most speeds, no drone on the highway, and still pretty damn loud at WOT.
Pretty much what I have. Mine are 12in dynomax muffs. I drove the car to work today and the drone isn't too bad. Just between 1700-1900. My car never spends any time there so I may not add the j's. It would be a super tight fit to get them in there.

Dude, if your exhaust is resonating through concrete... your neighbor's trinkets and picture frames are definitely shaking like a Diamondback Rattlesnake lol.
Indeed!

Aw man that sounds nasty! I love it
Thanks bro!

y would u switch from the slp awesome tips to meh blaa tips lol
My solo tips are on my stock mufflers which I will run 90% of the time. These solo tips aren't thaat bad lol.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cool!

I'm digging the '64-66 4X4 down the street in that one video too. A rare beast for sure!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm running the obx system with the offroad pipe and the solo j"s and its deffiantly is super raspy. I don't think I'm keeping them on for long. I like that its loud I just hate the raspy sound that they produce.

·
Fort Worth, TX
170 Posts
I'm running the obx system with the offroad pipe and the solo j"s and its deffiantly is super raspy. I don't think I'm keeping them on for long. I like that its loud I just hate the raspy sound that they produce.
The Dynomax bullets added to your Solos will probably get you the sound you want. I'll see if I can get a sound clip with my phone.

·
Fort Worth, TX
170 Posts
BTW, Yeti, your car does sound badass. Didn't mean to thread jack. J-pipes will fit, if configured like the Solos.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts