Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has 60,420 miles at the time of my upgrade. I went with the master dod delete cam install kit from Adam Cooper at Ace Performance.*
The kit came with:
Dod delete kit with ARP head bolts
RCR Cam 219/223 .612"/.615" 112+1
Btr dual platinum valve spring kit with titanium retainers
Chromoly pushrods 7.425"
Dod delete Kit:
16 ls3/ls7 lifters
L92 valley cover
Valley cover gasket
Valley cover bolts
Ls2/ls3/l92/l99 head gaskets
Ls3 lifter guides
Ls2 timing chain dampener
3 bolt 4x timing gear
Oil pump o ring
Balancer bolts
Arp cam bolts
Gm hd timing chain
*And I added the Trunion Upgrade for some peace of mind for another $120.

Rotofab Intake, Kooks Mid Length Headers, HFC, Magnaflow Mid Muffler, Solo Jpipes Exhaust so she is quiet still

I decided I wanted to get rid of the dod and always wanted to cam the car. I didn't want to do a stall converter or mill the heads. So Rick recommended the little lunati low lift for my dd/stock stall application.

First off, I have never done in depth engine mods on any car other than just doing oil changes, wheels, struts, headlights, a little body work and painting. I did install a full stack intercooler on my supercharged Grand Prix prior. I was pretty hesitant on doing the install myself until I read several how tos/diy on the forums and YouTube. I then stopped by a buddy's whose installing a cam and some other goodies on his g8 gxp. Finally after helping him for a day on his build, I figured I'd be able to accomplish this by myself, with the help of my brother (a mechanic) and a couple of other friends. So thanks to all the reading up and making sure I knew everything I could before diving into it all at once, I can say that it really wasn't that complicated. I knew I had time as its winter out, and didn't rush myself. I'd work outside for a couple hours a day to 11 hrs a day on it, sometimes skipping days. Just be patient, and label literally everything as it comes off and you'll be okay.

So here's some pics of everything and some videos after. I did become aware of a squeaking/squeeling noise in my last video in which it goes away after I rev the engine the 2nd time. I didn't notice it before until that video. I have yet to checked it out since the car is still sitting for winter in the garage.

09 G8 GT Cam Install by kory gray, on Flickr

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some new btr dual valve springs on with new seals, retainers, and locks
New valley cover on
Front cover off
Dropped the oil pan to get to the oil pickup tube
Dot to dot
Condenser propped up for some room
Motor mounts undone and 1 inch wood shims allows cam to come out this hole
Cam comparison
Cam comparison
Cam going in

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New timing chain on
Oil pump hooked back up
My guess is the main seal came unseated and started making a nice groove in the balancer, I ended up buying a new balancer and main seal to prevent it from snapping on me down the road
I got a new main seal

And finally here's a couple videos

During..
https://youtu.be/-1nZCr3998w
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-1nZCr3998w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After Pat G tune.. It was running super rough prior to this
https://youtu.be/WfaJ5Csp7TU
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WfaJ5Csp7TU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All set and done, can hear the squeaking/squealing I mentioned before. Then after the 2nd rev, it goes away.
https://youtu.be/zyRqnCHTWgs
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zyRqnCHTWgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
478 Posts
What kind of power your making? Im curious because i have not put mine on a dyno with a similar cam. I bumped my compression to 11.45:1 thou. Whereabouts in Detroit are ya? Im downriver.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds nice :)
Thanks, it's a little quiet, but I don't think I'm wanting it super loud right now. We'll see down the road.

What kind of power your making? Im curious because i have not put mine on a dyno with a similar cam. I bumped my compression to 11.45:1 thou. Whereabouts in Detroit are ya? Im downriver.
I haven't had it dynoed, I just finished it up the other day. Only drove it once for logging and sending the file back to pat g. 30 miles or so on it since install.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im in warren and 14 and Schoenherr area

Sounds good, that's the same cam I've been eyeing up.
Thanks, it has some pep to it. It was definitely noticeable before and after. While logging the tune for pat g, I went on the freeway and did 3 pulls. I never even opened it up all the way yet. It pulled pretty good though imo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh man it sounds really good, I have to do this to my car now since the dealer won't cover the lifters they installed that only lasted 7 months, how long did this take you to do, I've been looking at different kits trying to figure out which one to go with, any advice?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Oh man it sounds really good, I have to do this to my car now since the dealer won't cover the lifters they installed that only lasted 7 months, how long did this take you to do, I've been looking at different kits trying to figure out which one to go with, any advice?
Ace for the DOD kit and add your cam of choice. :) They can provide feedback on cam choices. I see you're from MD, are you a CCG8 member?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ace for the DOD kit and add your cam of choice. :) They can provide feedback on cam choices. I see you're from MD, are you a CCG8 member?
Cool I'll definitely have to check them out then, and no I'm not a member, I've heard of them on here a few times but i never took the time to check them out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot! Definitely check out ace performance on fb for pricing of what you'd want. I'm super happy about the car. It took me about 2 weeks from working on it for a few hours a day and like 2 long days of staying at it. Although I probably took and least 4 days in there that I skipped working on it at all even.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the squeaking was and how is the car running now that you have had some time with it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can you give an update on how this cam is working out for you - is there power increase throughout the rpm range & approximate hp/tq increase ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice in depth pics and video wandering why with a 112 lca it doesn't have a bigger lope or more noticeable sound of being cammed good job doing it yourself feels good doesn't it 🤓😁

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice in depth pics and video wandering why with a 112 lca it doesn't have a bigger lope or more noticeable sound of being cammed good job doing it yourself feels good doesn't it 🤓😁

Because the overlap is still only -3.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ahh very good for all that work did you not want a cammed rumble or was your cam what you were looking for have you any hp # yet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts