Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Can I get a track day?
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of a 09 G8 GT with 119K miles. I changed out the sparkplugs and wires over the weekend for the first time. The car starts up faster now and idles much smoother. So all good there. That back passenger side one took some of the skin off of my knuckles, but I got it.

Can someone with more experience than me look at the old plugs and tell me if you see anything of concern? All of them look to be in decent shape except for the one on the top left. That one has a little oil on it I think and I am afraid it might be a sign of a larger problem. The car runs great, but that plug came out a little different than the others. All of the plugs are in the same order that they were in the engine. The top left is cylinder #2.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Auto part Gas Metal Fashion accessory Coil

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
That might be the one that more oil buildup from the intake makes its way into.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Overall they look good in terms of how 119000 mile plugs should look like. I agree that #2 is a lot darker/oilier than the rest though it's not horrible. If it runs fine and there is no blue smoke, I wouldn't worry about it. But remember what you saw if things do start to happen.

·
Registered
PBM GXP M6 Onyx/Red, 51k, stock. Sold: Original owner 09 GT PBM Onyx 70k
129 Posts
I agree with the above. If the engine continues to run smoothly with no increased oil consumption, I might pull #2 in 50k or so and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The beauty of the GM Iridium plugs is they have an iridium pad on the ground strap too. A little more tricky to gap them properly. With the proper cleaning and regaping they can go back in. You might want to check the #2 cylinder valve stem seals. Hope they are leaking and not the rings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The beauty of the GM Iridium plugs is they have an iridium pad on the ground strap too. A little more tricky to gap them properly. With the proper cleaning and regaping they can go back in. You might want to check the #2 cylinder valve stem seals. Hope they are leaking and not the rings.
I have checked the gaps on plenty of Bosch and NGK/Denso platinum and iridium plugs and they are almost always right on.

I don't even bother anymore.

Be careful to use a proper gapping tool that grasps the plug and pulls the electrode down as you can damage the plug if you put any pressure on the tip

OP Great burn on 7 of them and like others have said a little oil on 2

Doesn't the pcv dump into the intake on the front of the passenger bank?

·
Can I get a track day?
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the feedback everyone. I will pull the plug in 50k miles and take a look at it.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,401 Posts
Hopefully it will look good.

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
For what it's worth, the owner's manual recommends replacing spark plugs every 100,000 miles. Typically, the farthest run on a set is around 75,000 miles.

·
Can I get a track day?
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I am pretty good about maintenance, I just overlooked the sparkplugs. I am looking to see if there is a decent app that can help remind me and log all of the work I have done. I think I have every oil change receipt from new in 2009. It is probably time to digitize a bunch of the records.

To 12SSRS comment, would a catch can help mitigate the little bit of the oil from the PCV dump?

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
Personally, keep most repair items listed in word documents and update them as time progresses. Makes it easier to print a copy so others can have it on file as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, I am pretty good about maintenance, I just overlooked the sparkplugs. I am looking to see if there is a decent app that can help remind me and log all of the work I have done. I think I have every oil change receipt from new in 2009. It is probably time to digitize a bunch of the records.

To 12SSRS comment, would a catch can help mitigate the little bit of the oil from the PCV dump?
I t can help, and they are cheap even if that's not the cause it won't hurt anything having it there

My 99 TA needed one as I drag raced it and it seen a lot of WOT and high RPM plus it was a high mile engine (120,000 when I bought it).

Make sure you get one with a removeable canister or a petcock with a drain tube attached to make draining it easier.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello Sean O - your plugs look pretty good and sending along a pic of mine for comparison (purchased the car used at 100K and these were the OEM plugs). My #2 plug appears to have more oil than yours, and a few of the others are less than clean as well. My guess is valve seals, but that will have to wait until warmer temps next Spring. As others advised me, if car drives well and isn't burning oil you are likely okay for now. Here is the pic of my '09 G8 GT:
Liquid Fluid Solution Glass bottle Science

·
Pontiac Crazy
662 Posts
Personally, keep most repair items listed in word documents and update them as time progresses. Makes it easier to print a copy so others can have it on file as well.
A spreadsheet is better suited to the use case. I keep a tab for maintenance and one for modifications, although I have considered just combining them. I always record the date, mileage, and details of what was done.

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
...A spreadsheet is better suited to the use case.
(y)Perchance albeit the numerous Word documents have been suitable and satisfactory thus far. Work on fewer vehicles yearly which helps to streamline/consolidate "operations".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts