1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window
Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

So I got a question. my rear tires wear stupid fast on my g8 . I’ve owned the car for 3 years and I’ve gone through 3 sets of tires in the back each year it’s getting to be ridiculous . I have 275/30/20 in the rear . And 245/35/20 In the front . I’ve tried expensive tires and I’ve tried cheap tires , and they wear equally as fast. Front tires are fine though. Getting a little low but in 3 years that been just fine . I don’t do burnouts or donuts. And I only get on the gas occasionally . Why are my rear tires wearing so fast? If I drop my rims to an 18 or 19 will that help ? Not sure what to do .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the dude who I bought the car from already had it lowered on H&R springs so if I even go to 275/35/20 in the rear it rubs . Would I have to go back to stock suspension or coil overs to fix this problem ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
What is your Camber and toe?
How do the tires wear ?

One side of tire , camber
Complete tire but running your hand across the tread it is smoother one way ( like a shingled roof ) excessive toe + or -

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Tire pressures you're using? Last four-wheel alignment? Was a printout provided? Last time the suspension's components were thoroughly checked? Expensive tires as in? Cheap tires as in?

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
556 Posts
Inside wear? Outside wear?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Most likely 18's or 19's are made from the same tire compound as the 20' so changing tire sizes won't help.
Think the boys are on to something asking about your suspension setting.
Seeing as it seems to be only happening to the rears.....are ya sure your not being kinda hard on the old pedal....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your Camber and toe?
How do the tires wear ?

One side of tire , camber
Complete tire but running your hand across the tread it is smoother one way ( like a shingled roof ) excessive toe + or -
Don’t rag on me too much I might sound stupid for this but I honestly don’t know . I think I have 0 camber ? Lol. and idk about my toe . My rear tires wear evenly to each other , all the way across the tire .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire pressures you're using? Last four-wheel alignment? Was a printout provided? Last time the suspension's components were thoroughly checked? Expensive tires as in? Cheap tires as in?
I keep my tire pressure between 30-40 normally sitting about at 34 .Each time I get them balanced but no alignment is done , I didn’t think I needed one because my car doesn’t pull to the left or right it’s straight as a nail when cruising . a printout was not provided from the tire shop I use . My suspension was throughly checked over about 2 months ago, when I replaced my ball joints and control arms. Expensive tires I’ve had Nitto Nt555’s and hankook ventus v12’s . They wore out just as fast so I switched to some cheap eBay brand called Achilles where I can get 2 tires for $150 . The nitros and hankook were about $250 a tire give or take .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely 18's or 19's are made from the same tire compound as the 20' so changing tire sizes won't help.
Think the boys are on to something asking about your suspension setting.
Seeing as it seems to be only happening to the rears.....are ya sure your not being kinda hard on the old pedal....
yeah that makes sense . I just didn’t know if having more “meat” would mean lasting longer . And I don’t get on the gas often lol. since owning the car I’ve only done 1 burnout when my tires were low already. I don’t race it , and I don’t like to put excess wear and tear on the engine if I don’t need to. Don’t get me wrong I have my fun , but not enough to shred through 3 sets of tires a year lol.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
For what it's worth, used to run 37psi in the front and 39psi in the back on the G8. Unable to recall the recommended factory cold tire pressures. By the way, is the 34psi cold or hot?

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Look at the placard on the pillar.

Front 36 psi

Rear 39 psi.

Maybe adjust accordingly. Good luck with it.

Reactions: BAS G8 and Mrnutta

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Front and rear are different sizes, so rotation is not possible and not the Your “getting on it “ must be spinning the tires.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
... I have 275/30/20 in the rear . And 245/35/20 In the front...
Correct. Running a staggered versus square setup. Can't rotate front to back merely left to right. Since it isn't the alignment nor suspension/steering related nor improper tire pressures nor frequent burnouts then best of fortune locating the solution.

Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
356 Posts
I predict someone is going out and doing mad skids while you're not looking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts