Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I really don't want to spend a ton of $$ on a cat back system on my wife's car, Just wondering if anyone has removed the rear mufflers and replaced them with something like Hooker aerochambers or flowmaster super 44's on their V6's. I was thinking of just cutting them off and welding in a set. What do you guys think? Should I remove anything else? I have to leave the cats in place for emission's here in Canada.
I did this on her 06 Pontiac G/P with the 3800 series 3 engine ( flowmaster 44's) and it sounded pretty decent. Not sure how this would sound on the G8 V6.

Any advice would be appreciated !!
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know a fellow V6 that had put Magniflow on and it sounds pretty good! Think he did a x pipe as well

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks G8 Chick !!! I really don't want an x-pipe put in I have heard they sound kinda rapsy in the V6's. I was thinking of just cutting the rear mufflers out with a sawzall then welding up the flowmasters or Hooker aerochambers. I had good luck with them in our 06 GP but the G8'S are a different set-up. Just not sure if it would make much of a difference in sound with leaving the rest of the stock set -up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just get 4, 3/8ths lock washers and put them between the oval muffler connect flanges, you will be shocked how perfect it will sound

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Throw a pair of 12 ' s in the trunk and she'll feel all kinds of rumble lol

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I put on the GT/GXP axlebacks on my V6. Sounds grr8

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have aerochambers on my 6.0 and it is QUIET. I can't imagine how quiet it would be on the V6...

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input guys. I haven't made any decisions as of yet, I do believe I would loose some low-end torque just cutting the rear mufflers off and adding super 44's or aerochambers. I may throw the solo axel backs on it this spring as many of the V6 guys have mentioned they sound decent anuff.
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
165 Posts
put a pair of solo axle backs...no drone gives it a nice rumble. I have a sound click if you would like with just axle backs and CAI.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
You sir have an awesome wife. congrats

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You sir have an awesome wife. congrats
Cheers buddy!! I don't know what I would do without her LOL. I have built some crazy cars over the years, nothing newer than mid 70's. Even thou I blew alot of money at times along with engines/trans/ and rears my wife rarely complained. Many of my buddies can't believe how good I have it. I must say I made a great choice in life marrying her.
Cheers
Eric

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our Aussies mates have the cheap fix; specially nice for a V6 where she'll think there's a V8 lurking!!!

The SOUNDRACER V8!!

http://www.gizmag.com/soundracer-v8-video-review/14019/
That's a cool little deal I must say, The problem with it is I couldn't listen to Deep Purple's Highway Star on my radio when this is on. I'll have to pass and get the real deal in the spring.
Cool idea for the mustang guys non the less.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Not a lot of drone at all. It's not too loud just enough. Putting x pipe on also so that will make it a bit louder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I removed my mufflers while installing my rear cradle inserts, mostly just to hear what it sounded like without them. Unfortunately (or so i thought) both gaskets fell to pieces leaving a decent gap between the flanges. Re-installed everything thinking I would put the gaskets on order and install them another time, but when i started her up it had a nice purr at idle, and when stepping on the throttle I was pleasantly surprised! It's not perfect, but for a FREE mod I am extremely pleased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts